Taking baby formula/food

bungeeman

Hey all- our time to go is fast approaching- 3 weeks tomorrow!!! Woohoo!

Travelling with our 7 month old Son- obviously when we arrive in Oz we will need to feed him but are you allowed to bring formula etc into Oz with their strict rules on food import?

The main issue we'd have is feeding him in the morning as we arrive at 1am in Perth and have no way of getting to a shop until later that day.

Has anyone had any experience?

Thanks

Ben

Guest Guest31881

Just declare it when you arrive there should not be a problem..... They are interested in unprocessed food or raw foods mainly.

We travelled at Christmas with a 7 month old. We took a sensible amount of formula, unopened in our baggage, and pre-made for the flight (you can pick it up after security). Just declare on the way in and there shouldn't be any dramas. There is a link on Australian quarantine somewhere about it.

Declare anything you take. Maybe put some ready made in your suitcase, or a unopened box of formula. http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/114242/aqis-info.pdf

When going to the airport - unless you take some powdered formula(we took small pots of powder with made up 7oz amounts, you can use Evien water to make up baby bottles - its ok something to do with quantity of the minerals??), you will be made to open and taste HALF of what you take. Majority of airports have a Boots once you pass security and you can by what you need, often you can call ahead and they will have what you need waiting for you.

We took sealed pots of ready prepared baby food (I breastfed so didn't have trouble with the milk, but dd was 1 so she was eating solids) and just declared them. They pulled me to one side in customs, but once they had seen that it was just baby food they just waved me through with no problems. Hubby had absentmindedly put a half eaten biscuit in his pocket from our eldest daughter and forgotten about it, and the sniffer dog found (and ate!) that. It wasn't a problem.

Just make sure the tubs are unopened and you declare them. I'd take a few small cartons of pre made milk for the flight and when you land.

Archived