Bricklayers in hobart area

gazza

Hi

We have been living in Perth for almost 5 years and whilst it is lovely I hate the summer and the flies and over east is too humid, so I have been looking into Tassie but as OH is a brickie we are wondering how much work is there and what are the wages like. I have researched and see that there is a skills shortage for the trade but as yet can't find out if that is true! We are planning on a reccie soon as I am missing the cooler weather and the UK countryside. Any advice is glady appreciated :biggrin:

I'm afraid I can't help directly as I don't have any contacts in the building business at the moment. From what I see/hear in the media building has slowed quite a bit over the last few months in Tasmania.

However, you could contact the Master Builders Association of Tasmania: they should be able to give you some useful advice. There are contact details on their website:

http://www.mbatas.org.au/

These are the builders I can think of who have been arournd the Hobart area for years:

Cunic Constructions

Fairbrother Pty. Ltd.

Vos Construction

Hansen Yuncken Pty. Ltd.

Maveric Builders

Hotondo Homes

Wilson Homes

Mansfield Builders

Ronald Young & Co.

D'well Homes

However, if you go to the Yellow Pages site

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/

and search for builders or building contractors....Tasmania

you will get a lot more names from all around the state. (I get the impression that you haven't decided on one particular part of Tasmania yet?) Some of them have their own websites so you should be able to get a better idea of the sort of work they do.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info Skani, I shall look into it but the word back from a couple of companies I contacted over there are that it has slowed down alot in this trade :( and may not be holding good prospects for us.

However I shall continue to research and plan our visit :wink:

Donna

Thanks for that info Skani, I shall look into it but the word back from a couple of companies I contacted over there are that it has slowed down alot in this trade :( and may not be holding good prospects for us.

That's a pity. It seems like only yesterday people were complaining about how long they had to wait to start building their house because building contractors were so busy!

It sure is a roller coaster of an industry - here at least. It will bounce back...eventually.

Oh well, I hope you have an enjoyable trip to "look see".

Vivien

Archived