Hi - any welfare workers/youth service out there?

hope2

Hi All

We're having a bit of a freak out about migrating.....as is probably normal!:arghh:

We have started the visa process and if successful we will be going out to Oz as a family of four, with no job waiting when we get there. We don't even know where to go yet - but we have a brother in Sydney. This is obviously a concern....so I'm trying to find out as much as poss.

My Hubby is currently working within youth service in UK as a drugs education co-ordinator. He has years and years of experience in the youth service/local government and is well qualified over here. I have heard welfare work is quite poorly paid - which is a worry. Does anyone have any experiences they can share to help us get more of an idea about the work scene. I have searched a few gov. websites and there seem to be quite a few opportunities but usually the wage is disclosed.

Guest caroline
Hi All

We're having a bit of a freak out about migrating.....as is probably normal!:arghh:

We have started the visa process and if successful we will be going out to Oz as a family of four, with no job waiting when we get there. We don't even know where to go yet - but we have a brother in Sydney. This is obviously a concern....so I'm trying to find out as much as poss.

My Hubby is currently working within youth service in UK as a drugs education co-ordinator. He has years and years of experience in the youth service/local government and is well qualified over here. I have heard welfare work is quite poorly paid - which is a worry. Does anyone have any experiences they can share to help us get more of an idea about the work scene. I have searched a few gov. websites and there seem to be quite a few opportunities but usually the wage is disclosed.

Hi,

I work in Community Services in Sydney and have mainly worked in disability/mental health/homelessness. So, pay is not great but I was used to that in the UK! But your OH has tonnes of expereience and i'm sure he'd easily get a job - i've found that if you have experience it seems to count for a lot even if you don't have Aussie qualifications.

I've never worked in youth but from my experience of working in Sydney I can suggest a few places to look outside of the normal job agency sites:

NCOSS website - NCOSS - Council of Social Service of NSW - great site for community jobs in NSW. There's a real mixture of jobs posted on this site and may give you an idea about what employers there are out there.

If you're having trouble with working out pay, community jobs are usually paid according to pay awards (I think!). The jobs that I have applied for have usually paid according to the SACs award - check out NSW Office of Industrial Relations, Which Award?

Department of Community Services - DoCS: welcome to DoCS’ website - if you haven't looked there yet its the government dept for child/youth welfare. Should have loads of info on there plus jobs.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more - can't say i have all the answers though! Good luck

Caroline

Archived