Tax file number?

digitalis

I am leaving in a week so appreciate I may have left this late, but what's the deal with tax file numbers?

Is it possible to even apply for one unless you are in Oz? I did look at the TAW link but they wanted $$ for some sort of email address as far as i could see.....I'm confused tbh though I'm aware that without one you get the Aussie version of "emergency" tax here :arghh:

Any one with any pointers? Have applied for bank account.

Tried to apply for mine online and could only do it online after you have arrived in Australia. Unless there's another way I'm waiting until after I get there and my company will take me to the local office.

Probably doesn't help you much but thought I'd share.

Thanks both, should have added my sister lives in Adelaide, so wondering whether using her place as a forwarding address?

I have just applied for a commonwealth bank account via TAW, it was free so can't hurt. Bit short notice like but I didn't know for deffo I was going till Wed lol.

Yo guvnor abn is a bank account I'm assuming?

Thanks both, should have added my sister lives in Adelaide, so wondering whether using her place as a forwarding address?

I have just applied for a commonwealth bank account via TAW, it was free so can't hurt. Bit short notice like but I didn't know for deffo I was going till Wed lol.

Yo guvnor abn is a bank account I'm assuming?

you could prob use your sisters address for the tax etc but not sure if they check your visa status to make sure your here ...

ABN is Australian business number ... pretty much like your CIS/UTR number back home for subbing on site etc but you sort all your tax here and dont get docked at source like on site at home ... although here everyone does a tax return ... be lookin at 30% tax on wages for a whv ... although most i have worked for wanted to pay me cash which i didnt grumble at haha

Right great thanks bud, I remember being told about the ABN a while back. I'll have a word with my sis and see if I can process the application.

Yeah steep eh, you got percentage as a rebate though so it will be my (involuntary) Thailand savings scheme I guess haha.:Randy-git:

i did read that if u live in same place for 6 months + as a temp worker you can claim all your tax back ... but i read this is techincally fraud, most stories ive read are people that used tax companys here to claim it back for them via a loop hole ... not sure how true though and if i was to do it id pay a company so any problems falls on them and not me lol.. although 95 % of my money earnt has been cash through tradies (and not me asking to be paid that way)

Got to wait until you're in aus, you need an aussie address so your sisters one would be good, you could also possibly use her address to apply for a medicare card too, as that can take some time. I think I got my tax file number in the post about a week or so after applying online.

Guest MM Marc

TFN and Bank accounts are prettty simple to sought out and don`t forget to take your passport when you go to buy a phone or SIM etc.

P.S There are so many myths spread by employers and backpackers about tax that it is better to ignore them all and check on the ATO website for the truth.

No country in there right mind will give you "All Your Tax Back". If you stay 6 months (ish) in one place (depending on cicumstances) you are eligible to a $6000 tax free theshold like the Aussies get plus lower tax rates. If you don`t the Taxman can keep every penny - most backpackers just make a fraudulent claim though. ;-)

• 8 months later...

what exactly do you mean by fraudulent? Do you mean claiming residency for tax purposes, even though you didn't live in one place, with one job for 6 months? From my knowledge of reading the ATO website, they have tests to check whether or not people pass for residency? Just how can you find a loophole for a government test?

Archived