ACS and IT Contractors

Kimorjack

Hi all.

Been having an absolute nightmare trying to obtain references from past companies that I've worked with..examples:

Ref type (a) = Stating name, position, date of employment ONLY (Headed paper)

Ref type (b) = Colleague Reference (Headed paper)

Ref type © = Colleague Reference (Non-headed Paper)

CompanyA (Existing) - Can get Ref type (a) from both the Agency and a Ref type (b) by Representative of the Company (Ref type b) - (this will cover last 16 months)

CompanyB - Can get a Ref (a) from the Agency and Ref © from a Colleague (2.5 years)

CompanyC - Can get ref type (a) from the Company (not the agency) and a Ref type © from a colleague (5 years)

Do I need to go back any further? (I have another 7 years worth of work experience that I could cover ..same type of scenario). Some agency's no longer exist!

Has anyone else had this scenario and had favourable ACS assessments?

Also...just to throw in a spanner...Company B and C...Worked for Agency ABC...who's client was ZZZ who was the Outsource Company for YYY. (which References have you obtained!)...as theoretically I work for the Agency...

Surely Im not the first IT contractor/Consultant to have these issues?

Time is running against me now - as this has dragged on so much (especially talking to HR/Agency people...who really don't want to help!).

thanks

I had the exact same mare you had as I contracted too, some would only give details of the time I was there and not go into detail about my tasks, I think its some stupid UK law they all adhere too, probably laziness too.

You could always write out your own job descriptions and then get them to add it to a letterhead and sign, make sure they check it for correctness but only you know what you did as some managers wont have a clue what you actually did.

Sweet talk other employers who are dragging their heels and tell them how important it is to get these references.

Senior Colleagues references on headed notepaper is fine as they will also understand what you have been going.

Gather as much as you can but you will pull your hair out at the ACS as someone will always give you less years anyway and you will probably have to have it reassessed by someone senior who will understand what you did and grant you more.

If you cant get the references you will have to go down the statuatory declaration route

Thanks DibDibber

Its very frustrating. Been moved from one HR person to the next and then a reply saying as I wasn't an employee of their company I have to go back to the agents... Time has also been a factor as I was hoping to have the ACS results in by now... I turn 40 in June so I loose points.

I was hoping not to have to use the statutory declaration route but at this rate this seems my only route.

I now have to replan everything.

Who has been your payroll provider? - i.e. if you have worked through an umbrella or limited company, they are seen as your employer, and can therefore give a reference which can include details of each contract - for example: worked at client xxx from yyy to zzz - with description of duties.

As long as they are a registered company, and have copies of all your contracts, that would work.

Hi,

I'm an IT Contractor and recently had exactly the same problem. I tried to do everything official, going through the HR departments but this was no use. In the end, I contacted ex senior colleagues directly and they wrote them on letter headed paper once I explained what I needed and why. I included this along with the evidence from the HR Departments and the ACS were happy.

Good luck.

thanks "wonder" - good idea...I have my own LTD company and Im the sole Director - so would seem quite "false" to give myself a Reference? I do however have an Accountant that could write something about the income earned from contracts - but would not be able to provide evidence of certain tasks completed - and thats what the ACS want evidence of.

WelshBen - thanks for the insight. My problem is that ex-colleagues are not allowed to use company headed paper to provide references - so it would have to be a statutory declaration (which then means they have to go to a solicitor's in their own time to do me a favour...)

so frustrating.

How many years worth of references did you all go back to?

WelshBen is right, colleagues will be the best option even if it is awkward, the thing is if you know someone well at your old places and twist their arm and tell them you wont show the reference to anyone else how will it affect them giving you a reference.

This was one of my biggest bugbears, its stupid to even say no you cant provide a reference on a piece of paper, its just a piece of paper with some ink on it, and whats on it isnt going to bring down the company like Worldcom. Anyway rant over, colleagues are the best bet, but do it silently.

I've been contracting for just over 4 years, my previous permanent employment was straight forward enough.

1 of my roles, my old manager was told he wasn't allowed to use letter headed paper - but he did anyway :) The HR department would never know. Your best bet is contact someone you got on well with and call in a favour. It's ridiculous it's like that, but I was left with no choice.

thanks for all the insights - quite remarkable really how such a simple paper document can be so difficult to obtain. I've been contracting for 14 years so many of my agents have now "folded" and some companies have been taken over by other companies - so I can see why these things happen...after all I was NEVER an employee of their company - I was providing a service to them.

My issue is that for some companies - I would of worked remotely or off-site and not really had any "ex-colleagues" that I could call up for a chat and say...."do you mind doing me a reference!"...but others I can..

How far back did you have to get references for (dont want to waste more time for the first 5 years of my contracting life getting references if they are not needed).

thanks. really insightful information - and easily the most frustrating thing I've ever done since I ONCE played golf.

It's a nightmare, I couldn't believe how much chasing I had to do.

My positive assessment was for 13 years as a Software Tester. I had to go down the RPL route which wasn't much fun. My advice is get as much as you can, going as far back as you can, then cover any gaps with a stat dec and as much supporting evidence you can gather.

I found http://www.linkedin.com a great help tracking down a couple of old colleagues.

Well I went back over the last ten years, I was looking to get at least 8 out of the ten years but the assessor gave me 3 years, ridiculous, so I asked for a reassessment and the senior assessor gave me 5 years, just enough for my points although it should have been 8 as it was solid databases all the way through apart from some excel dev.

Anyway the point is to get more than you need for the points as they are bound to give you less. Id printed off a whole ream of A4 with work examples and references but I went a bit over the top.

Archived