Nursing job and visa question

Laura81

Hi, I have just been offered a staff nurse job at prince of wales hospital, randwick, nsw. HR has contacted me saying she 'usually' applies for a 457 visa. Is it just the PR visa that's an alternative? There is my partner and I, we still in UK at the moment in the process of selling up but when we come out we hope to stay. Are there other benefits to this such as lower tax, medicare, ability to buy property?? Feel a bit out of my depth :S

Hi Laura

I'm not an expert but I think with the 457 you need to work full time with them for 2 years and there's no guarantee of pr at the end but it is a quicker route in. You will have to pay school fees too but I don't know about the other parts. We decided to go for the 175 as I didn't want to work full time and it gives us the independence of not having to stay with the same employer if I don't like the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laura

I replied but don't know where it went lol

I know you can get pr after one year on 457 although more security on a pr 175 as if the job falls through you have 28 days to find another job sponsor but as a nurse im sure that wouldnt be a problem.

I have lived in the prince of wales nurses residence 03/04 for three months on the bank and I loved it nice place to work, and only ten minute walk down to coogee beach loved it and a approx 20 min bus ride to city. We are hoping to find 457 sponsorship either in QLD or Adeilade as the cost of living is lower than nsw and we have kids and in nsw 457s have to pay education fees.

If you have any questions give me shout

Good Luck x

Archived