Air Conditioning Engineer

true blue1

Hi,

I have 8 years experience of Air Con & Refrigeration and have a City & Guilds (NVQ) level 2 and C & G 2079 F Gas.

I am moving to WA on a partner visa, so will be able to get my skills assessed when I arrive. I am thinking of applying for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) at the Polytechnic of WA. Has anyone taken this route and what was involved? Is it the better route than ARTC? RPL is more expensive but they do offer gap training.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I think your getting things a little mixed up. I am currently in Perth going through my RPL to get my AQF III in refrigeration and air conditioning. After you get this you then apply to arctick for your refrigerant license and energy safety wa for your restricted electrical. Doing the RPL is a right pain but you have to do it to gain your licenses . Any qualifications you have from the UK mean nothing. My college tutor wouldn't of taken me on if i didn't have my skills assessment so you need to do that. Im currently getting my head around psychometric charts as i have an assessment on wednesday which im getting quizzed about them . It is all achievable though.....so i hope!!!!!

Thanks for that James. Did you have your skills assessed at the same place you are going through your RPL? Are you working as a trade's assistant now, (which I believe requires you to have your skills assessed to AQF 11 standards) or, are you at college full time? How long has it taken you? What was involved? Did you work in Air Conditioning back in the UK?

Sorry for all the questions.

Send me a PM if you like.

Many thanks, Ryan.

I had my skills assessed in London . You have to do it if applying for PR from outside of Australia. From that you get your offshore technical skills cert. I have been here for 3 months and im on my second job. My first was doing domestic air con, ducted units mainly. If you take pride in your work you will not want to work in domestic air con!!!!! I am now working for a commercial refrigeration company which is what im used to and enjoy it much more. companies may be reluctant to take you on if you have no license but if you talk to companies rather than just emailing cvs and you know your stuff they may go out their way to make a position for you and bend the rules a little, this is what happened with me. Air con companies take people on easily though with no license but your just an installer of duct and maybe the odd pipe, your pay will be lower than working in refrigeration but theres plenty of overtime.

Im at college when they call me in for an assessment. I did an electrical assessment online which took me 4 weeks to get through then a practical on electrical , had to wire and test a panel for a cold room. I did a refrigeration assessment last week which was simple and i have a complex electrical assessment on wednesday. Should be nearly complete after this. Basically all these assessments contain the parts they need to tick off on the competency list which apprentices must fulfil. If they are not happy with your performance they will make you sit certain semesters with the apprentices, you don't want this as it could take time. Also when you talk to the college first of all before enrolling you need to make a good impression that you know what you are on about or else they will just stick you in an accelerated apprenticeship which takes a year.

I worked in refrigeration and ac in the UK, mainly worked on sainsbury's local shop installations and service. You tend to either do one or the other over here.

Hope this helps. I know finding info is hard as i could never find anything when going through my visa process.

Wow, thanks for all the info, yes it is a minefield. I already have a PR visa and my Qld A license for electrical. I have done several qualifications in A/C In case the work situation so bleak when I arrive in February 2014, I thought can only be good to have 2- trades, this is why I will be looking at RPL. My problem is not having any hands on experience, but all jobs want previous experience, so...... how do you get started?

thanks again for the info.

Steve.

Hi James,

Thank you so much. The information has been really helpful.

I've mainly done Air Con for the last 6 years in commercial, retail and offices. I service, fault find, repair, install, commission/decommission etc. Before that my apprenticeship was mainly refrigeration in domestic, and commercial premises. I considered getting my skills assessed by Vetassess in the UK but I'm not sure I'd be successful. According to their factsheet most of the areas I'd be OK at but they also want either industrial air con experience or experience in dairy refrigeration. I've not done diary refrigeration for over 6 years and I've not worked on industrial air con systems. This is why I thought I'd be better taking the RPL route when in WA. I've been liaising with the Refrigeration and Air Con Lecturer at the Polytecnic in WA and he has been very helpful. However, because I'm initially going on a temp partner visa I do not get any reduction with the fees. The visa becomes permanent after 2 years but I do not want to wait that long. The full RPL process is $6000 AUD! But needs must!! I don't want to just work being an installer of duct.

Have you had to buy any reference books while doing your gap training?

When did you complete your practical with Vetassess and what was involved?

Thanks again,

Ryan.

If they will let you do the rpl i would go with that as even if you get your skills assessment done you'll still end up having to do the rpl or so i think. Ive just completed my rpl yesterday so my AQF III in refrigeration and air con will be in my hands soon then i can get my licenses. I did mine with polytechnic west so you are talking to the right people. I didn't buy any books just saved the australian wiring standards on my mac book to use in the electrical part.

In the vettassess you have to do a number of practical tasks such as reclaiming, pressure test, vac and commission a coldroom unit, explain superheats and sub cooling etc. Fault find on compressors and ac systems, do pipework and braze, but as you said, if you haven't worked on refrigeration for a while they probably wont even let you do the practical.

If i were you id just apply to commercial air con companies when you arrive but make sure they don't do domestic or you could well end up pulling in duct for a while.

As for getting started with no experience id suggest if your an electrician try applying to a company which does both trades then try and get some hands on experience that way.

Hope this has helped

Great read thanks for the info. I have just started our route to PR, I'm a fridge man with 20 years hands on experience in the commercial AC and fridge game with the last 9 years running my own little business in the UK.

I understand that I will have to re do all my tickets and get my licence when we get over to WA,what are the timelines for this? Also how feasible is it to earn $100k a year without living your life on call!??

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

$100,000 is achievable but you would have to work a bit of overtime. Pay ranges from 35-42 an hour and a standard week is 38 hours here so you can do the maths. If you have children and your partner stays at home that $100000 would get you by but not the most lavish lifestyle.

I brought tools over which i bought brand new in england as i heard they were really expensive over here. That isn't true though, decent tools are the same price as in the UK here. You can get good deals on drills over here also. I had my battery's taken out before they got sent over on a plane as apparently they can not go on a flight. I had to pay £70 for the pleasure of them keeping £180 worth of 18v batteries. I sent my stuff with seven seas. i would just buy over here if you have the spare cash though , saves a lot of hassle.

• 3 months later...

Hi all.

Just having a quick read through this thread and trying to get my head around a few things.

I got my vetassess cert in air con / refrigeration which enabled me to get my visa.

Been in the trade for 16 years, mainly air con install and commissioning.

I am currently selling my house in England so hopefully soon be on my way to WA with my family.

How have you all got on since last posting on this thread? And what would be the best way to look for jobs before making the move?

And will employers be willing to offer employment before the extra training (electrical license etc...)

Gonna be using this forum a lot in the next few months..... So many questions...

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys, bit late to be joining on this thread but hopefully someone answers.

I've went through the ARTC route and been granted the Refrigeration Mechanic (Electrical) certificate.

Went to energy safe and also have to sit the exams in Polytechnic West. Could anyone shed some light on the online modules we have to complete and then the practical assessment at the end of it.

Also have to take a safety practical on using meters etc.

If anyone can shed some more light on this it'd be great..at least I can get myself prepared.

Thanks

Dave

Hi James, I see from a previous post of yours you have went through the polytechnic west exams.

I've went through the ARTC route and been granted the Refrigeration Mechanic (Electrical) certificate.

Went to energy safe and also have to sit the exams in Polytechnic West. Could you shed some light on the online modules we have to complete and then the practical assessment at the end of it?

Also have to take a safety practical on using meters etc.

If you can shed some more light on this it'd be great..at least I can get myself prepared.

Thanks

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi CraigandDebs,

How's it going are you all settled into your new life down under? Hope its all going well?

I'm currently in the early stages of PR visa, and applying for Vetassess SA. I was curious as I saw in your post that you were mainly AC install & Comm. How did you get on with the test, as like you I'm more biased on commercial AC install, breakdowns etc. as opposed to refrigeration. Did they take this into consideration or did you manage to apply theory with practical? Any advise greatly welcomed.

Take care

Eddie