Visa granted but we have had to delay departure!

Guest AndreaO

Guest AndreaO

Hi All,

Our permanent residence visas were granted in July 2006 and initially we wanted to move permanently in Jan 2007 to tie in with the Oz school year. Unfortunately our teenage son was extremely reluctant and we have compromised by allowing him to finish 6th form in the UK. However, this means we can't go until at least July 2008!

We travelled to Oz for the second time in August so we have validated the visas within the required 12 month period at least. The visa states we need to be there by July 2011. So I'm guessing 2008 is more than acceptable but then wondering where we will stand with citizenship, if it was still 2 years residence this would be 2010 before our visas expire but if its now 4 years this would be after our visas expire. So I was wondering if anyone knew where we stood on this. Also who does the 4 year rule apply to as it came into force August 06 is it visas issued from this time or people moving after this time????

Great to read about all the people currently moving and recently settling in and what they're going through. At least we can now take a more leisurely approach to it all - I think!

We do have family in South Queensland and North New South Wales and hope to live between the two!

Also happy to help on any issues relating to the TRA and Immigration stuff - yes it was painful and we had an agent!

Best Wishes to Everyone.

Hi Andrea

Now I'm rather new to all this so no expert but this link is helpful ~

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-and-policy/legislation/changes200406-announce.htm

... as I understand it the new rules will not come into force until July 07 so maybe that helps you, although I can't quite get my head around the finer details!

Good Luck

Debs :)

The way I understand it that the 2 years for citzenship applies to those whose visas are granted before July 2007, so you should be okay.

Also your visas do not expire in 2011. This is the date before which you can leave and return to Australia freely, you can remain in Australia indefinately. If you leave after 2011 and do not have citzenship you just need to apply for a returning residents visa. I belive this is easy to get if you can prove your long term ties with Australia.

Hope that clears it up

Guest AndreaO

Thank you Debs and Restfamily, your replies have been very helpful and put my mind at rest. I know I seem to be panicing unnecessarily its just having got the visas and then the anti -climax of not getting ready to go has sort of left me in limbo. Having waited and worked so hard to get the damn things I keep getting this sneaky feeling someone's gonna take them off us!! Can't believe I've admitted that - I sound paranoid.

I don't want to end up having to get return visas all the time too.

Many thanks again.

Our visa is subclass 139 Sponsored Designated Area - husband is a roofer. If anyone has any issues in that area - happy to help.

Archived