Melbourne dilemma's!

Guest ver

I think we've narrowed down our list of places to be living and due to having 2 boys (6&4) schooling and family life is paramount.

I will be working in the CBD and nearest station is South yarra.

I have allowed up to an hour train commute and tbh but I'd like to be doing 30-40mins train journey ideally and less even better! So places I'm looking at are along the Frankston line and do like

Cheltenham->Chelsea

I would be looking to buy in a year or two and so think of settling in a suburb I would look at buying into and with these prices it seems I won't be able to. So have been looking at Berwick or south Narre Warren perhaps? As I think I will have a better chance of affording the home we want.

Thats the dilemma ... ok... I might be able to afford the rental prices of 400-500 a week but looking long term the house prices are crazy high in these areas, so what are the thoughts for house prices? Are they inflated currently? and have they been rising significantly?

Are there others in a similar situation? Do I forgo the commute time to look at buying a nice place? Or do I go where I want to be and see what happens the time we come to buy?

Its difficult and part of me wants to plan and to be clear in my head of what we will be doing, the other parts says go and see how the places are.... biggest issue is their schooling/friends as we dont want to disrupt them anymore than we have to...

thoughts please?!?

The property market has been very strong in Melbourne due to demand. Property at the high end has been until recently targeted by overseas residents which has pushed demand down the ladder. This has now been remedied by the government and it looks like the top end is slowing up a bit. According to the papers but really its the end of winter and spring may pick up again.

There are areas you can live in the west and north of Melbourne that have cheaper housing, Point Cook is popular with Brits as its not as far out as Berwick, Frankston etc and there is a range of home prices.

Ferntree Gully, Knox, Lilydale has a variety of priced houses but check the commute.

Metlink site will give you the routes and the suburbs.

Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea are ok to commute I used to commute to the city from Edithvale. However you would not get a seat on the train in the morning as its already full by the time it leaves Seaford.

Have a look at Realestate.com.au and domain.com.au putting in your price range and see what comes up.

Once you are here you will be able to find the place that suits the family as we are all different.

Hi Petals

thanks for your input. I had looked at point cook but I think it will be an even further commute? (As I will be based in St Kilda?) So had set on being on the South East.

I looked at the train commute to Seaford and even then it is under an hour. So might consider locations along that route that I hadn't thought about!

How are the schools there? Im sure I've seen a site with listings of school results and comparisons with the the Melbourne Average, but can't seem to find it anymore.

thanks again.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ver

There are some lovely suburbs along the Frankston Line, although as you say housing can be expensive. Have you thought of Lyndhurst the reason I ask is that it is a 10 minute drive to Carrum where you can get on the Frankston Line or you can use the station at Merinda Park which is a 2 minute drive. Also Lyndhurst/Lynbrook are getting their own station work starts in the next few months and they are hoping to have it completed by this time next year. The school in Lynbrook is excellent for your young ones.

Kate

I would join a forum such as Kidspot Australia - Parenting site and pregnancy resource - Information on Pregnancy, baby, toddler & kids and you will find out about schools plus you can ask other parents what they think about the areas and the schools etc.

If you are looking at Seaford stay away from North Frankston and I would look carefully at the areas over the other side of the creek.

Carrum, you have Patterson Lakes which you can have a look at and Chelsea Heights.

The problem with transport can be that if you say got the train at Carrum then you would need to drive there and park and parking can be very highly sought after at train stations.

For instand the Frankston car park is full by 7 - 7. 30 am in the morning.

The Frankston line is getting another 35 train runs on the line which will make a difference with congestion. Although guess they will all be waiting at Flinders St anyway :wubclub:

if your looking at narre and frankston, how about cranbourne area. im renting a nice 3 bed for $345 per week and you can buy a 4 bed for around the $350-400k mark.......good schools too with a choice of public and private. its a growing area with plenty of potential. Has train links to CBD and is 45 mins to drive

hi Ratchet

thanks for the comments. Is Cranbourne a nice area? Are there primary schools that are pretty good too? prices seem very reasonable and I would consider the area but for some reason there was something that made me leave it off the list. It will be something I will consider

I am not a fan of Cranbourne never have been but its grown and there are a few nice estates on it. If I had to live there I probably would pick South Cranbourne as its more undulating country not so flat as the rest of Cranbourne. Botanic Ridge is a nice estate and there is a primary school very close by.

I would try to get as close to a good transport route as possible. Hence check the metway site. The reason I say this is because it makes a difference to the time of any commute you may do if you are going to be using public transport. Buses tend to go round the world so need to check the route.

Archived