Car seats

Guest Angelcake

Guest Angelcake
hi

no i didnt take them because i was told that they dont meet with the australian safety requirements plus i knew i would need them straight away and by the time i had paid to hire them til the shipment arrived i may aswell have just bought new ones!

i went to a great shop over here a bit like mothercare but with out the clothes and they fitted the seats for us - i must say the seats over here are a lot bigger and sturdier and they seem to be more comfortable!

x

Thanks chellem!

I didnt realise they don't meet australian safetly requirements. Does this mean they're illegal?

thanks

Angelcake

Guest Angelcake
im not sure on that hun i will find out for you though and get back to you x

Your'e a star!!!

A

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks chellem!

I didnt realise they don't meet australian safetly requirements. Does this mean they're illegal?

thanks

Angelcake

Hi

Yes, UK car seats are illgal in Aus as they don't comply with Aus Standards.

We just returned from Aus and foolishly brought our 2 car seats back with us.

2 Safe N Sound Maxi Riders (9kg - 26kg), retail at $360 each, will sell tham at $150 each or 75 pound each. Let me know if anyone interested, we're located near Reading. They are great seats, but illegal in Uk as they do not comply with Uk standards.

Cheers

Rio

Guest barab
Hi

Did anyone take their childrens car seats over to Aus?

Angelcake

Hi Angelcake,

The difference with the UK car seats than in Oz is the Oz ones need to have a strap from the car seat to an Anchor point in the car,all Oz cars have this anchor point,and all Oz car seats have the strap,but the UK ones don't,we brought ours over but didn't use it as we hired one which was cheap and easy for the first week or so.

We then bought one from a pram shop,then wen't into big W and seen the same one for much cheaper.I would suggest buy one when you get here,from big W or K mart as they are good ones and much cheaper.I wouldn't gamble with the UK ones incase you get stopped and maybe fined.

Guest Ayesha

Anyone know what are the laws regarding the use of child seats? ie age, in UK certain height or aged 12 child still needs to use a booster seat. Also can a booster seat be used in OZ?

Guest beaneybunch

This was the info my friend passed me when I asked the same question, if you follow the link to the store, I managed to come accross the regulations also - can't remember how!? Good Luck.

Booster seats to suit 3-7 years are about $AUD50-75 for the seat only type, and about 125 to 250 for the complete seat and back type. The convertable type (baby 6 months to child 7 years) are in the order of $AUD300-400. Check out:

http://www.babyzonedirect.com.au/

Anyone know what are the laws regarding the use of child seats? ie age, in UK certain height or aged 12 child still needs to use a booster seat. Also can a booster seat be used in OZ?

Whe we first arrived in Perth i nipped into KMart to buy booster seats as we had only brought one with us... a graco highback with detachable back ...

i thought i needed one for my 11yr old as he still needed one in the uk due to his size... i was virtually laughed out of the store..

I did however buy one for my then 7 yr old on the bottom it states the child must be within weight 14kg to 26kg.. after that they are free to sit without one...

as i drive to school most days i can honestly say my now 8yr old appears to be one of the few sitting on one... everyone else is free in the back of their car.

this is only in WA... most states have their own rules so check it out... my graco seat i use for my 4yr old... and have seen similar ones for his age..

i think they are only concerned with baby seats... and that these need to be belted properly

min x:wubclub:

Archived