Shipping Companies - Shortlist help - 40 ft - Anglo Pacific; PSS; Bournes; John Mason

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie but have been reading for a couple of months. It has now come time where we are 1 month away from our move from London to Melbourne and time to commit to contracts. This is a for an almost full 40 foot container, exclusive use.

I have had about 8 container companies come out to quote and rejected (based on price and/or bad reputation from the forums and reviews) to come up with my shortlist (in no particular order) of:

Anglo Pacific

PSS

Bournes

John Mason

They are all quoting around £6800 so price is not a differentiator and all their sales people are equally likeable. Does anyone have any personal experience or other hints to assist me in choosing which company to use?

Hi there, we just had our house packed and shipped last week went with PSS and would certainly recommend they packed everything up well we don't fly until the end of the month but wanted the container to catch us up rather then wait too long for our stuff within two days we got emailed the details of how to track the ship etc very happy, I worried a lot about who to choose as both positives and negatives with all but went with the ones who gave the most information and advice, hope this helps a little?

We're in the final stages of planning our move, and had gone with PSS - they were recommended by our Visa Agent.

They actually sub-contract to local companies in your area.

Luckily, we know one of the owners of the local company, so have gone directly to them - at the other end PSS will take over again.

Thanks everyone. Looks like its a couple of votes for PSS.

I've not come across JA Coles. I agree that the sales people are all lovely and all the companies are persistent and have great customer service prior to signing up with them. I'm just worried about how it is after and whether they live up to their promise.

• 2 weeks later...
PSS moved our belongings on Monday, I was so impressed with the attention to detail and efficiency, let's just hope it all arrives in one piece!

Thats good to hear. They came yo my house yesterday to do a survey. Seem very friendly and communicate really well.

We used john mason and thought they provided a great service, the two guys who packed us up we're superb. We went to Brisbane and the company they use h ere we're utter rubbish, I am not sure who they are partnered with in Melbourne. The price you have been quoted is about the same we paid for a forty foot container.

We must be the only ones who had a bad experience with PSS. Their surveyor came out to us and was rude, arrogant and spoke to my wife like she was a 5 year old. Needless to say we went with someone else lol.

We used John Mason and were very happy with the service, we needed them to store our things at their depot whilst we lived in temp accommodation in the UK and they let us bring the rest of our boxes to them when we were ready for it all to be shipped. Had no problems at the Brisbane end. I still have some stuff left in our UK home which is now on the market and I won't hesitate to use them again for anything we might decide to bring over. Good luck...you will be surprised hoe easy it is to live without all your stuff, you will also be delighted when it arrives :)