Buying a car - help please

hoorayhenry

Hi everyone

I'll be arriving in Oz in July and will be needing a car asap. Just got a couple of questions -

Is haggling over the price of the car the usual way to go about it or is the advertised price the price you have to pay?

If haggling is the way to go - what percentage do people usually get knocked off the price?

Thanks a lot

HH

Guest bohlesover

Hi,

Just haggle!! we didnt being poms and new, but aparantly you should, whats the worst they can do?? say no. Try your luck, we would definately NOT pay the asking price again. Good Luck.

Guest longland

I would see what they can do with the price, after all you have to pay for stamp duty, rego and insurance to put on top of the price so go for it that's what we did - knocked a couple of grand off and included everything else.

Guest billy braveheart

1st car we bought here in perth was a small hyundai excel just to get us around priced at $7000,after some haggling we got it for $5000 cash,its now our sons janette got a brand new car with stamp duty and 1 yrs rego flung in for $15000 and i got almost $3000 knocked off the cost of my Triton so by all means haggle it is the same for everything here from electrical goods to furniture

best of luck

That's great everyone - thanks!

Do you think I will be able to buy one and drive away within a day or two or will I have to wait days for lots of paperwork?

I'm planning on getting one from Brisbane in my first few days and then heading north - I can't spare the time to hang around Brizzy for ages.

Thanks

HH

yep, within a day you can, where you heading up north? good luck.

We plan on buying a car in Brisbane and heading north aswell. Can I just ask you, you say its pretty quick and easy to buy a car an be off, is it still easy if you dont have an address? Like would you get insurance with out an address, or can you drive the car away with just the third party?

Regards Bruce

Archived