state sponsorship- but which regional area do we go for...?

Mr and Mrs Holmesy

Hi there,

We are looking at the various regional area in NSW which are sponsoring my occupation (social worker).

These are Northern Inland, Far South Coast, Orana and Southern Inland. It's so difficult to know where would be best as I'm sure each place within these areas has its own pros and cons. It really is a job to know where to start.....!

We have briefly researched Tamworth (Northern Inland) and Shoalhaven (Far South Coast). My sister lives on the Sunshine Coast but unfortunately that is not an option for us. We will travel to see each other but once you're on a flight it doesn't matter if its 1, 2 or 3 hours to me. What is more important is that we find a place that suits us and that we enjoy living in.

Has anyone else had to chose between similar areas? Can anyone give any advice based on their experience of these areas? We are a small family of 3, daughter will be around 8/9 when we make the move and we would probably look to send her to an independent school...just in case that has any bearing?

Many thanks :smile:

We are looking at the various regional area in NSW which are sponsoring my occupation (social worker).

These are Northern Inland, Far South Coast, Orana and Southern Inland. It's so difficult to know where would be best as I'm sure each place within these areas has its own pros and cons. It really is a job to know where to start.....!

We have briefly researched Tamworth (Northern Inland) and Shoalhaven (Far South Coast).

The question is, what kind of life would suit you? If you're after the typical British "Aussie dream", then the coastal locations will obviously suit you better. The climate in inland Australia is not for the faint-hearted: it gets bloody hot in the summer and there's no relief. The sea breezes on the coast make a huge amount of difference.

I would focus on the Far South Coast. The coastline is absolutely beautiful, just as nice as the Sunshine Coast. The question is where you'd be able to get work.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 17:53, Mr and Mrs Holmesy said:

MHi there,

We have briefly researched Tamworth (Northern Inland) and Shoalhaven (Far South Coast). My sister lives on the Sunshine Coast but unfortunately that is not an option for us. We will travel to see each other but once you're on a flight it doesn't matter if its 1, 2 or 3 hours to me. What is more important is that we find a place that suits us and that we enjoy living in.

Has anyone else had to chose between similar areas? Can anyone give any advice based on their experience of these areas? We are a small family of 3, daughter will be around 8/9 when we make the move and we would probably look to send her to an independent school...just in case that has any bearing?

Many thanks :smile:

@ the Holmesy. Hope you  are doing okay. Just wondering  what you decided  on in the end. We are in a similar position  as you were wife is a social worker and we also preferred Queensland. However, we have decided on the that if we were to uproot from our rather very comfortable life here in the UK then we have to have a PR visa. You mentioned that the 489 was taken off but I think it was reinstated. Correct me if I am  wrong. They have taken social workers off 190 but I think its back on the former (489) visa category.

I see you mentioned NSW but have you considered Victoria? This is what we are thinking to do. Melbourne seems to have more job opportunities for her as well as being a bit better for my profession (not great but ok) as well. Also Adelaide seems to be favourable  for a 190 have you looked into it?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you know this, but I believe it's only a moral obligation to stay in the area/state where you're sponsored, not a legal one. In 2014 friends of ours moved to Perth on state sponsored visas. They lasted about 3 weeks & hated it & were desperate to move to Sydney where they had friends. They got advice from their migration agent...and then moved to Sydney! They're still here now & have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies...

We seem to have a couple of options now in that we can apply for 489 state sponsorship (you're right Apollo, it has been reinstated on Queensland's list) and also the 489 family sponsored option (we want to locate near to my sister on the Sunshine Coast). Sadly due to my age, the 489 is the only option, however it IS an option and that is the main thing!

So next step is the skills assessment...my understanding is that it is a lengthy 20 week lead time for the social work assessment so all in all it is going to be a long, drawn out process...!