beasties

Guest paul.dev

Rarely a huntsman, more frequently nasty, horrible pests that arrive with a bang, eat everything in sight leaving horrific trails of food and cans, then bugger off leaving me with a scene of destruction and waste. But apparently I'm legally responsible for at least two of them, Kids! What can you do eh?:skeptical:

We're in SA, so perhaps we just don't get as many nasties in the house. We've had mice, a few huntsman (averaging out at one every four months, if that), one whitetail, no red backs in the house, a couple of lizards, and two brown/garden cockroaches that came in out of the rain. I don't like the Christmas beetles that come in gangs attracted by the lights (dogs leave the door open 'cos their paws can't reach the handle), and are here for perhaps a couple of weeks. Other than that, maybe the odd millipede, lots of flies and a few mozzies.

That list does cover nearly two years, and I've listed everything that I can think of, so really not a problem. Unlike the kids....

LC

Guest paul.dev

thanks for the reply, put the wife at ease but from what you said might leave the kids back in the uk ha ha .

It´s not the house you have to worry about its the roof space !!!!

Some friends of ours just recently knocked down their house to rebuild and in the loft was 5 snake skins (snakes shred a skin once a year) and yep there was a 36_33_17.gif8ft Diamond Python in the other corner - they had to get the local wildlife center in to get rid of it - after being in the roof for 5 years they were told that they were lucky that the urine from the snake after its hybanation could of come through the ceiling into the house.

Along with this its not much fun when you open the curtains in the morning and there starring at you is a massive cockroache or yukey spider, also i have had cockraches in my tin foil - pulled the tinfoil out of the cupboard and in the tube was one which fell onto to me yuk yuk along with them in the cereal box so now everything is in plastic containers and i have found the odd one or two in the frying pan & saucepan in the cupboard.

Its not much fun believe me but its a way of life !!!!

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZN

Guest dunnarunna

sorry to do this but i found this pic someone put on adelaidebrits his name is harry (who the fudge names a huntsman:huh:) and if he really is as big as he looks i hope i never meet one like him!:elvis:

donna

Guest Guest9973

I think it depends on where you live as well.

Most suburban areas just see the odd huntsman/Redbacks/White tips.

Try living a little more rural like we do.

We do see the odd snake in summer, one actually visited inside the house a few years ago:arghh:

Huntsman spider don't really do any harm,they are just scary looking.

As I was harvesting the olive grove last week I had one fall onto my face as I was in the tree!!I could not wipe it off as I was holding on - try blowing away a big hairy Huntsman that is clinging to your nostrils!!!!

I do think that you become used to such things pretty quickly.

Nothing is aggressive here - just use common sense like wear gloves when gardening and don't leave clothes piled up on the floor (White Tip spiders love climbing in!)

Guest thekeg95

Get a couple of pest xit duo's and plug them in to opposite ends of the house and no more crawlies.

A cricket bat is best for the bigger ones like unwanted boyfriends

STEVE

Guest tinbasher

We live close to the sea and the sand dunes and apparently there are Brown Snakes about. Our next door neighbour had one in their garden (sorry if you have heard me talk about this before so I won't go into details and bore you all again). Huntsman, Red-backs, Whitetips and bloody ants.

Mrs TinB

Guest tinbasher

You will definitely need a big bat just in case you meet any Lazy Cows hanging around the place as the only way you can make them shift is by giving them what for. :biglaugh:

Mrs TinB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SeagullsGoldstone

I grew up in Elizabeth and the main problems were bull ants which give a nasty bite.

Just something to be aware of if you have young kids playing in the garden!

Never saw a snake in ten years so this shouldn't be a problem providing you live in an established area.

Guest Macd

OH MY GOD!!:shocked:

Had almost forgotten about the spiders/bugs etc and then there is a whole new thread about them. Showed other half the picture of harry the huntsman and he said well thats you f@**?ed then, he has such a way with words.

Tracey

Guest SeagullsGoldstone

The huntsman is nothing to be afraid of but they are on the large size when compared to UK spiders.

Just need to worry about the blue ringed octupus more than anything else.......

Guest paul.dev

I was watching a tv program about astralia deadly doven and they had that octopus on that, there tiny but deadly so they were saying

Guest Guest9973
The huntsman is nothing to be afraid of but they are on the large size when compared to UK spiders.

Just need to worry about the blue ringed octupus more than anything else.......

I've not heard of a Blue Ring incident since I've been here.

They are only tiny things and like to hide in empty tin cans for some reason.

When I took my senior first aid here there was lots of training regarding the bites and stings here.Well worth going on a course if for only your own safety:idea:

Guest Guest9973
I grew up in Elizabeth and the main problems were bull ants which give a nasty bite.

Just something to be aware of if you have young kids playing in the garden!

Never saw a snake in ten years so this shouldn't be a problem providing you live in an established area.

Those Bull Ants are a real nuisance - they seem to be called Inch Ants down south here.Probably because that is how long they are!

I've had a few bits and boy do they fetch tears to your eyes!!:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest SeagullsGoldstone

I've had a few bites as well and I seem to remember they are worse than bee stings.

The danger of blue ringed octupus was drummed home to me when I was growing up as there was no anti-venom but I don't think anyone has actually died from a bite.

Saw a couple on Kangaroo Island a few years ago but this was in a rock pool so they were fairly visible.

At the end of the day, I've loads of family living in and around Adelaide for about 40 years now and not one of them has been bitten by snake/shark/spider/blue ringed octupus/crocodile.

Guest Macd

Let me re-introduce myself, I am the forum COWARD when it comes to ALL things creepy, so harmless they may be but I just HATE them.

Tracey

Guest SeagullsGoldstone

Tracey,

They are harmless but it still made me very nervous when I used to see them. I'm just grateful that we don't have anything as big over here in the UK!!

Cheers

Dave

• 11 months later...
Guest sazzle76
sorry to do this but i found this pic someone put on adelaidebrits his name is harry (who the fudge names a huntsman) and if he really is as big as he looks i hope i never meet one like him!:elvis:

donna

holy muck!!!!!!!!! how the hell do you get rid of them????????????? that would never fit up a hoover pipe!

oh god I hate spiders, but seriously, how do people get rid of things a big as that??

:sad:

Archived