Health Wavier / Reciprocal Health Care Agreement on a 457

Eaglesdare

I’ve been asked to sign a health waiver as my child doesn’t satisfy the health requirements of the DIAC. We are happy to sign the waiver and pay for the normal day to day treatment, however if “emergency” or “necessary” treatment is required while we are here this could run into 10’s of thousands of dollars.

As a UK citizen I thought we would be covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) for “emergency” or “necessary” treatment. Can anybody tell me if I sign the health waiver will we have to cover ALL costs including “emergency” or “necessary” treatment?

I don't know much about this, except that you apparently need to have medical insurance in place before you get the 457 grant, even from a country with a RHA. Once you register for Medicare though, you can drop the extra cover. That's what I've read. However, you will need to contact Private health insurers for info re. your child as that's a very specific situation, & even if they allow you to register her I think there's a waiting time for claims even after obtaining private cover. Could prove to be a dealbreaker for you unless you get it right. Use google.au for that.

This will at least bump you back up to the top so someone with more knowledge might be able to help though.

I guess its got something to do with your child's condition, it depends how much they feel the cost to the public purse will be. I have not read about this on the forum before. I do know that when they do medicals that people with conditions who are likely to cost the public more than the gov is prepared to pay do not get a visa.

Private health does not end with just paying the premiums the gap fees are very hefty. So you can be well out of pocket with health insurance.

Also just to add there have been cases where people have wanted to stay on after the temporary visa expires but they then find out that they are refused a permanent visa if one of their family has a condition that does not pass the medical requirements.

Need to really look well into things before making a decision. Have a read around the web there are quite a few cases that have had publicity but they do not change their minds. Plus the gov has changed so they are looking to cut costs not increase them.

Edited by Petals

We have all the health insurances in place, what we are concerned about is that by signing the waiver we or opting out of the RHCA and will be asked to pay for the treatment.

Thanks for taking the time read and responded to my notice.

EG

What does the waiver say? Have you read it.

I am authorised to represent (name of proposed nominator), the proposed nominator of (name of main visa applicant), an applicant for temporary entry to Australia.

I am aware the entry to Australia of (name of the visa applicant who failed the health requirement) (if applicable, a family member of the above named applicant) is estimated to result in health care and community services costs of approximately $??????????????????.

I understand that the health requirement for granting a visa to (name of visa applicant who failed the health criterion) may be waived if the proposed nominator gives an acceptable undertaking to meet all costs related to the disease or condition.

Consequently,(name of proposed nominator) undertakes to meet all health care and community service costs related to the diseases or conditions that otherwise caused (name of visa applicant who failed the health criterion) not to satisfy visa health requirement.

It does, which we are happy to organise and pay for. However the costs for emergency and necessary treatment of his condition can run into $10'sK. By signing are we opting out of this part of the Medicare service and paying for this too.?????

If the costs are that much it will make getting a permanent visa very difficult if not impossible

Edited by Flathead

It does, which we are happy to organise and pay for. However the costs for emergency and necessary treatment of his condition can run into $10'sK. By signing are we opting out of this part of the Medicare service and paying for this too.?????

Well it certainly reads like you are agreeing to pay for all treatment relating to the condition, it doesn't seem ambiguous on that point. If you don't want to do that, then strictly speaking you should not sign the waiver. It does sound like you would have trouble progressing to any kind of permanent visa, is the temporary job worth it?

I am authorised to represent (name of proposed nominator), the proposed nominator of (name of main visa applicant), an applicant for temporary entry to Australia.

I am aware the entry to Australia of (name of the visa applicant who failed the health requirement) (if applicable, a family member of the above named applicant) is estimated to result in health care and community services costs of approximately $??????????????????.

I understand that the health requirement for granting a visa to (name of visa applicant who failed the health criterion) may be waived if the proposed nominator gives an acceptable undertaking to meet all costs related to the disease or condition.

Consequently,(name of proposed nominator) undertakes to meet all health care and community service costs related to the diseases or conditions that otherwise caused (name of visa applicant who failed the health criterion) not to satisfy visa health requirement.

The health waiver document you refer to is not signed by yourself as the visa applicant, but is rather is to be signed by your employer (i.e. your proposed nominator) assuming that they are willing to meet all the costs relating to the health condition that has caused your child to fail to meet the health requirement in respect to significant costs or prejudice to access.

As has been pointed out, if you are aiming for permanent residence you need to be aware that the granting of a health waiver for a 457 visa is completely different process to that when applying for a permanent visa.