Emigration Insurance

Guest chris the saint

Guest chris the saint

Hi all.

Me, the wife and two kids are finally on the home straight, and really believe that we are finally on our way. Got the visa, sold the house (we hope) and are drafting all the letters to cut the ties.

We have two questions which we would love to get some feedback on.

* Insurance. When we pack up here and are travelling across the world we are struggling to get insurance cover as we will have no fixed abode. We can get travel insurance but if we need to make a claim it will only be validated if we return to the U.K. Has anyone got any ideas???

* Secondly, Doctors notes. We have contacted the doctors surgery requesting copies of our medical notes, and they have said that they do'nt do this. We thought that these were our property, and would they be required when we get to Oz????

Any information would be appreciated.

Chris (Saints fan for my sins)

Hiya the Dr's in the uk dont give out the notes anyomre apparantly its all on computer ,the only time you may need them is if you have a medical condition other than that youll be fine without them ,you do need kids red books thou.

cant help much on the insurance side as we didint get any but i recall an earlier thread asking the same and someone said backpackers insurance will cover you ,not sure how you'd find such companys other than a google search ..good luck with everything

Cal x

Hi Chris

I can only answer re the doctors notes, we obtained copies of all our medical notes from our surgery before leaving the UK - they have to give you copies if you ask and also they can charge and boy do they !!! - we were informed that once we no longer were registered with our local docs that our notes would just go and sit at some central base somewhere & they could be accessed or sent to a new docs if we ever registered with a doc again in the UK - i do remember looking on a web site about our access to our medical notes at the time but can´t find the damm site at the mo - if you don´t really need them i woudnt bother as they dont ask for them here. (unless you have someone who has a on going illness etc) bring along the immunistations for the children - normally recorded in a book that mums have been given as the immis for kids here have a couple extra.

best of luck with your move down under

gizmo

Guest franny22
Hiya the Dr's in the uk dont give out the notes anyomre apparantly its all on computer ,the only time you may need them is if you have a medical condition other than that youll be fine without them ,you do need kids red books thou.

cant help much on the insurance side as we didint get any but i recall an earlier thread asking the same and someone said backpackers insurance will cover you ,not sure how you'd find such companys other than a google search ..good luck with everything

Cal x

OMG - i dont have my kids red books - what can I do now - my 6 year old has athsma and I am undergoing monitoring for Haemochromatosis (increased iron levels in the body). I have been tested positive for carrying the gene that could lead to the condition and as it is genetic the kids could have it but have been advised not to have them tested until they are at least 18. (I am 35 in October this year) has anyone got any idea how this could affect meds. I asked my consultant at the hospital last week and he doesnt see why it would affect any application but i am still worried. every day throws up a different quandry. HELPPP:arghh:

Hi

Dooooooooooon´t panic :eek: its ok - i have 2 pink books and one red (how times change) as long as you know what immis your children have had that should be ok, they have just done the chicken pox jab here for age 12/13 and also in April are doing the cervical cancer jab for girls/women age 12 to 26 (i think to 26) most of us mums manage to keep it in our heads what jabs etc our children have had (a mummy thing !!)

Sorry Franny cant help with the Haemochromatosis but did spot this link http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s49783.htm it seems that haemorchromatosis is very common here in parts of australia,

try not to worry im sure your medicals will be fine

Guest franny22
Hi

Dooooooooooon´t panic :eek: its ok - i have 2 pink books and one red (how times change) as long as you know what immis your children have had that should be ok, they have just done the chicken pox jab here for age 12/13 and also in April are doing the cervical cancer jab for girls/women age 12 to 26 (i think to 26) most of us mums manage to keep it in our heads what jabs etc our children have had (a mummy thing !!)

Sorry Franny cant help with the Haemochromatosis but did spot this link http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s49783.htm it seems that haemorchromatosis is very common here in parts of australia,

try not to worry im sure your medicals will be fine

OMG - first of all, how did you find all that soooo quick and secondly thank you for that link it makes soooo much sense to me. glad to see that Scotland ISNT mentioned on it so think i must have passed border security somewhere (lol). I'm hopeful it wont be a problem but have already been passed over for life assurance in this country pending the blood test results so was panicking.

going to bed now so will check in tomorrow xx ty:yes:

The school and nursery both asked to check red books before accepting kids ,i would ask your gp or health visitor if you can get an up to date print out of childrens innoculations etc ,im sure medicare wanted to see it too ,so make sure you have some sort of record,,

Cal x

Hi Franny, your welcome, don´t worry sure things will be ok and you will soon be in sunny oz, hope you have a good nights sleep, no nightmares !!!!!

Hi calNgary

I never was asked for any medical info or to check my red book for my 13 year old at school - perhaps it varies depending where you are in Australia - but like you say the local docs or helath visitor would surely print of a list of vaccs that children have had.

Archived