Car Insurance No Claims Discounts

Guest Jeff Broome

Guest Jeff Broome

Hi,

Is anyone aware of whether or not the no claims that we have built up in the uk is transferrable to Australia. Its just that I have six years built up and the difference in costs is massive.

Also whats the deal oin driving out there on a UK licence, are we only allowed so long before we need an Aus one or can we get away with it?

Thanks

Guest glennandkate
Hi,

Is anyone aware of whether or not the no claims that we have built up in the uk is transferrable to Australia. Its just that I have six years built up and the difference in costs is massive.

Also whats the deal oin driving out there on a UK licence, are we only allowed so long before we need an Aus one or can we get away with it?

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

You can take your no claims - a friend of ours has just insured a car in Oz with his UK no claims.

And in respect of the licenses I think you have a period of time to use your UK one, but when a permanent resident I dont think its that long. It also depends what state you are moving to. We are heading for Queensland and I think after 3 months we have to sit a written test to get an Ozzie driving license. You can find it all out on the web site of the relevant states driving agencies.

Hope this has helped

Katie

• 1 month later...
Guest bob and ginnie

Get a form with the insurance company's letterhead on the top.

The form should state your no claims bonus and any other relevant details of insurance that an Australian insurer is likely to need to verify that you deserve a no claims bonus here in Australia.

Permanent residents of Australia have three months to change their old licence over to an Australian licence.

Temporary residents have up to one year.

British licences, since the beginning of this year, can now be exchanged over the counter without any further test, if you've held it for at least two years, otherwise you sit a "theory" test consisting of about 40 multiple choice questions on Australian road rules.

Guest ABCDiamond
Permanent residents of Australia have three months to change their old licence over to an Australian licence.

Temporary residents have up to one year.

British licences, since the beginning of this year, can now be exchanged over the counter without any further test, if you've held it for at least two years, otherwise you sit a "theory" test consisting of about 40 multiple choice questions on Australian road rules.

Different States have different rules on these points.

Temporary Visitors:

Most States allow visitors to continue driving on a valid CURRENT driving licence from their own country, indefinitely, however, WA states only 12 months.

Driving Theory Test:

QLD & Tasmania both need a Full UK licence holder to pass a theory test to get an Australian licence. The other States no longer require it.

Guest scoop

In theory could you obtain a Australian License in NSW then transfer it to Queensland or would you need to pass a theory test when settling in Qld?

I will be staying in Sydney whilst my animals are in Quarantine!

Sx

Guest ABCDiamond
In theory could you obtain a Australian License in NSW then transfer it to Queensland or would you need to pass a theory test when settling in Qld?

I will be staying in Sydney whilst my animals are in Quarantine!

Sx

You can do exactly that, and then swap the NSW licence for a QLD one with no theory test. :)

All you need is an address.

When you do swap the NSW licence for the QLD one, it will have the same expiry date as the original NSW licence, and from memory, there is no charge by QLD transport. We moved from NSW to QLD in 2002.

Guest forshac

Sorry to appear alittle thick on this subject...

We are planning to move to Victoria - Melbourne, do we need to retake out test and theory again? :?:

Archived