National Rental Affordability Scheme

Commander

Hello

ive just been looking for web sites in NT to contact about renting properties for when we move. But finding it hard to find any to contact, but have made contact with elders real estate. So I'm awaiting there reply. Has any one else got any links that would help me?

plus whilst googling I came across the government site about national rental affordability scheme. My question is would I be entitled to this when moving over on a 489 visa? Or is this going to be something for a later time?

cheers

Hello

ive just been looking for web sites in NT to contact about renting properties for when we move. But finding it hard to find any to contact, but have made contact with elders real estate. So I'm awaiting there reply. Has any one else got any links that would help me?

Most real estate managers in Australia insist on a prospective tenant physically inspecting a property before applying to rent, so they won't be very interested until you actually arrive here. They will also require evidence of your financial situation once you are in Australia.

The two main real estate sites for rentals - so that you can get an idea of what is available - are

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

http://www.domain.com.au/home?mode=rent

national rental affordability scheme. My question is would I be entitled to this when moving over on a 489 visa? Or is this going to be something for a later time?

I don't think being on a 489 visa would be an issue, providing you meet the income criteria. However, the main problem is that there is usually a waiting list so it would be unlikely you could just walk into one on arrival. However, you would have to check with the relevant authorities in the NT to check the situation there.

This page has the 2 NT managers...as at August 2013.

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/housing-support/programs-services/national-rental-affordability-scheme/nras-tenancy-managers#nt

Hello

plus whilst googling I came across the government site about national rental affordability scheme. My question is would I be entitled to this when moving over on a 489 visa? Or is this going to be something for a later time?

cheers

Hi, as it's been said in the earlier replies, you do need to be here. But looking at the realestate and domain websites will give you a good idea. Here in Darwin, prices are high and demand for decent rentals is also strong. In any case, it's good to be here to look round and see what is a good fit.

Sorry don't know anything about the affordability scheme.

Hello

cheers

That's a scheme that was introduced for low income earners. It would be a bit rich if someone came over from the UK and walked into one when there are so many single parents and low income earners who are desperately trying to find properties to live in.

It doesn't say that - it says it's a factor which

may be considered when assessing eligibility include:

• whether you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia

And note that this is in NSW and the scheme is administered independently by the different states.

Income levels are the only eligibility criteria mentioned in some other states.

However, given that there are usually waiting lists for these tenancies, I am sure that residency status would affect one's place in the queue.

Fair enough, here's the page for NT which says you have to be citizen or pr.

http://www.housing.nt.gov.au/housing_choices/rent/private_rental_assistance/eligibility3

That's the eligibility criteria for the Bond Assistance Scheme - for an interest free loan for a bond to get into private rental accommodation ....which is a different scheme to the National Rental Affordability Scheme.

I know it's confusing! :rolleyes:

The NRAS is only for those on a very limited income, they are normally in lower socio economic areas. You have to put your name on a list and then they call you, you can just tell them you want to inspect, it is by invitation and there are a fair few on wait lists.

That's the eligibility criteria for the Bond Assistance Scheme - for an interest free loan for a bond to get into private rental accommodation ....which is a different scheme to the National Rental Affordability Scheme.

I know it's confusing! :rolleyes:

It is still only for low income earners, not new migrants to the country.

It is still only for low income earners, not new migrants to the country.

If you mean the Rental Affordability Scheme: they have a very liberal interpretation of "low income", though. For example, the income limit for a couple with 2 children is $96, 748....which is not most people's definition of low income.

There'd be many migrants within this income threshold.

But, as I mentioned above, there's no chance in reality that a new migrant could walk into one because of the waiting lists. Residency requirements later on may be at the discretion of the different managers of the scheme...as suggested by the NSW phrase "may be considered".

Edited by Skani

If you mean the Rental Affordability Scheme: they have a very liberal interpretation of "low income", though. For example, the income limit for a couple with 2 children is $96, 748....which is not most people's definition of low income.

There'd be many migrants within this income threshold.

But, as I mentioned above, there's no chance in reality that a new migrant could walk into one because of the waiting lists. Residency requirements later on may be at the discretion of the different managers of the scheme...as suggested by the NSW phrase "may be considered".

'May' be considered is the operative word, nearly all states insist that the renter must be a permanent resident and rightly so. We have many homeless families and single parents seeking rental properties who simply cannot afford them.This why the scheme was introduced, especially in metropolitan areas where rents are excessively high.

'May' be considered is the operative word, nearly all states insist that the renter must be a permanent resident and rightly so. We have many homeless families and single parents seeking rental properties who simply cannot afford them.This why the scheme was introduced, especially in metropolitan areas where rents are excessively high.

I understand that totally and agree that the scheme should be for permanent residents/citizens only . It would be helpful, though, if the relevant websites mentioned this in their eligiblity criteria. I haven't seen any reference to it at all, apart from the "may be" in NSW.

I understand that totally and agree that the scheme should be for permanent residents/citizens only . It would be helpful, though, if the relevant websites mentioned this in their eligiblity criteria. I haven't seen any reference to it at all, apart from the "may be" in NSW.

Queensland mention it very clearly and have an eligibility calculator.

• 1 month later...
Hello

cheers

Yes, you can, even you have a 489 visa. If you can prove that you meet the requirements even the your income is from oversea.