Settlement period!!!

rache76

Hi

About the Aged Contributory visa AGAIN!!!

Does anybody know that if 100% of your children and grandchildren are migrating to Oz, do i really have to be there for 2 years in order to sponsor my parents or are they leniant considering the circumstances? Or could somebody else who is an Australian citizen sponsor them? I have been on the DIMA website and read all the criteria again and again, but there are a lot of words like 'normally' and 'usually'. Any help or advice would be fantastic. Thanks

Rache

Guest Nathan & Mandie

Hi Rache

I hope you get some advice on this one as we are in exactly the same situation as yourselves. My parents are both 70 and going to be left here by themselves once we go :( The first hurdle of persuading them to join us in OZ is now done :) but I am scared if they are left behind too long, they will change their minds and find it all too daunting and sorting out the visas too complicated. :shock: .

We have talked about them joining us for the interim period on a tourist visa, but they are worried about leaving the house unoccupied !!!! and who will pay the bills etc.!!! they dont believe in direct debits, that the oldies for you.!!!!

I fully understand how you feel. Should you conquer the settlement period, I would love to hear from you.

Good Luck

Mandie

I can't say for definite, and I'm not speaking from any experience, but I tend to think that the two year period is like set in stone.

The DIMIA call this the settling in period, and believe me they know what they're talking about. It really takes most folk that long to start a new life, jobs, schools, find a home and make new friends etc. The ups and downs of every day life, without the support of family and friends makes it very hard, and added to that homesickness can really make you wobble.

They need to be sure that you really are settled before you add any major responsibilites to your lives.

As previously said, I'm no authority on the subject, so don't quote me :)

Koala

Thanks again Alan for your prompt reply,

We won't be going for the visitors visa and then apply on shore if it is too risky. It looks like we will have to gain our settlement period, before they can apply :(

I have looked into the investor retirement visa, which is out of their limits, they will have about £200.000 GBP and we will all be going to Brisbane, Queensland where all my husbands relatives are.

Thanks again for your advice and in the hope that they change some legislation in the meantime.

Rache

Alan,

I certainly don't have a problem with links to other forums and I encourage it as it is a community forum! :D:D

However being a community forum and not affiliated to any company ensures that PomsInOz is an independent source of advice for anyone in the postion was in 2 years ago, I believe that some of your posts here for us lot, are purely to give exposure to your services and packages on the back of giving advice - very clever but not entirely in the true spirit of things wouldn't you agree? :roll:

Hello Tim.

The same might be contended of any other migration professional who provides advice on this or any other discussion forum ... :D

If I might say so, having opinions from two qualified migration agents enhances the quality of advice on your site. It means that people visiting the site are more likely to ask questions, because they can reasonably expect a response from professionals who have probably encountered such issues before. In turn the number of users goes up, and the reputation of your site is enhanced.

Ultimately though you are the guv'nor, so I'm in your hands!

Best wishes.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Rache & Mandie

I looked into the possibility of perhaps getting Mum into Oz on an ETA and then making an onshore application for her.

I rejected the option, not because of risk or morality (I leave the latter strictly to the Church and have no opinions about it myself one way or t'other) but because the terms of a Bridging Visa A are rubbish for a British Parent, in my firm opinion.

The holder of a Bridging Visa A is specifically excluded from Medicare. If the parent is elderly, any private medical insurance they could buy is inevitably so hedged about with exclusions that it is likely to be useless in a crisis.

We have had such a crisis with Mum, twice. In 2000, she was in Oz on a tourist visa, due to fly back to the UK the next day, She was upset about the upheaval, tripped over something and fell, breaking her hip. She was rushed to a public hospital and was operated on within 2 hours of the injury. That saved her life, because the elderly often die of shock from this type of injury unless the medics act quickly.

Another time, she went to Bali on a family holiday and collected a very nasty eye-infection whilst there. Not having a clue that it was serous, my sister took Mum to her GP in Perth when they got back. He told Elaine, "Take Mum to hospital, NOW. Don't even go home on the way." She was in hospital for 5 days that time. At one stage they talked about removing her eye to prevent the infection from spreading into her brain, but the doctors decided to hang on and clobber Mum with antibiotics, to see if they could fix it without drastic action. The antibiotics worked, so she still has her eye and it is OK now.

When you have been through the medical mill as we have with Mum, trust me, the Parent needs Medicare cover. It is not the time to be squabbling with Underwriters about whether or not their policy includes cover for the calamity that has occurred. You need doctors, you need them fast and Medicare is first-rate.

For this reason, I rejected all notions of trying to be clever with Mum's application for a CP visa. The cost of a couple of flights is immaterial compared to what happens if a medical emergency happens.

A proper tourist visa preserves Medicare because of the RHCA between the UK and Oz. My understanding is that a Bridging Visa negates it, and I think that that is an unacceptable risk.

Cheers

Gill

Archived