16kg dog - - - Dublin to Perth

Nic Eachmharcaigh Ciara

Hi there. I would appreciate help here!

I plan to bring my dog Wally to Perth with me in April/May next year, he is 16kg and will be almost two at that time. Can anyone recommend a good pet shipper? I have got quotes of €3500 from K international and two quotes form Multi-Cargo for €3500 for a PVC box and €2500 for a wooden box a little smaller than the PVC. Would Wally be ok in a wooden box to Perth?

Is quarantine open in Byford in April/May 2014?

Any help, or tips or ANYTHING will be gratefully accepted.

Lost and confused.

Shipping is based on size, not weight. You need to measure your dog as crates are made to fit the dogs requirements. Wooden crates with mesh are generally used, not wire crates like you see in cars or houses.

Thanks for that!

I have received some quotes from Multi-cargo and K international. Multi-Cargo gave me two quotes one €2500 for a wooden box and €3500 for a PVC box. K international also quoted €3500. I wonder will the dog be ok in the wooden box or am I aswell to pay €845 if it makes a big difference to his journey!?

Thanks for that!

I have received some quotes from Multi-cargo and K international. Multi-Cargo gave me two quotes one €2500 for a wooden box and €3500 for a PVC box. K international also quoted €3500. I wonder will the dog be ok in the wooden box or am I aswell to pay €845 if it makes a big difference to his journey!?

Lots get shipped in the wooden boxes. I'd not worry about it. Its you not him that sits and ponders the difference between plastic or wood.

I don't know of either of the companies you are mentioning, sorry. You are Ireland based though. I would hope others could give you feedback.

I know of a few in England that have good feedback and so on.

What kind of dog is he? You say weight but its size that you are looking at.

Perhaps look at getting him over to England and consider using Golden Arrow or Pet Air.

Hi there. I would appreciate help here!

I plan to bring my dog Wally to Perth with me in April/May next year, he is 16kg and will be almost two at that time. Can anyone recommend a good pet shipper? I have got quotes of €3500 from K international and two quotes form Multi-Cargo for €3500 for a PVC box and €2500 for a wooden box a little smaller than the PVC. Would Wally be ok in a wooden box to Perth?

Is quarantine open in Byford in April/May 2014?

Any help, or tips or ANYTHING will be gratefully accepted.

Lost and confused.

Hi,

We brought our dog home from Perth to Dublin last year (we live in Northern Ireland) and used a company based in perth called Dogtainers, they were fantastic, couldn't recommend them enough. However, when will bring our dog back out to Australia we will be unable to use them seeing they based in Australia. I don't know about any pet shippers down south of ireland, but here up north there are a couple of ones that have been recommended to me.

Our dog came over in a PVC box and will be using the same container to bring her back out. In your case, I think a wooden box is sufficient, at the end of the day, these companies have to ensure that basic requirements are met, if not, the animal will not be allowed to be put onto the aircraft.

Lastly, do not even consider bringing your dog via London. The extra flight across will nearly double your bill!!!

Instead we used emirates and the dog flew direct from Dubai to Dublin, then we went down and collected her

Dear Nic

Try Dean at EFL dean@uefl.ie we work with him lots.

Ref the wooden crate or plastic crate - most pets leaving UK go in a wooden crate it is not better or worse than a plastic. Plastic crates are much wider than they need to be so the pets have more room to get jiggered about during the flight, so IMHO they are not quite as safe AND the cost of the ticket for your dog is based on the volume of the crate, so in the plastic crate you are paying for volume your dog does not really need.

Dont dismiss the via UK option completely. It would be better if Emirates can fly your dog from Dublin to Dubai and Dubai to Australia, but often they cant due to flight times and breeds of dogs they wont take, so quite a few dogs do come from Ireland to UK and then on to Australia - particularly big dogs.

I hope quarantine will be open in May/June 2014 - Perth has been a troublesome destination this year!

Dont forget to get the rabies work done now - your dog needs a rabies vaccination and rabies blood sample started 6-12 months before the flight.

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Thank you everyone for all of your help, every little bit helps! I have received more quotes recently, one as low as €2735 for a wooden box. It is a good point that the bigger the box be it PVC or wooden the more the dog would be tossed about.

I am going to get him his rabies shot and take the first step to bringing him, despite not being sure if I am going to bring him yet! I am trying to get family to take him in at least until I settle in Oz!

I have to stay in Joondalup for 3.5 months and then move south of the river (not sure of the location yet) after that. So it's all very new and complicated for me at the moment.