penrith

Sammy77

Thanks thats good to hear, hubby says it's nice, not having second thoughts but starting to panic lol and stressing that not sorted schools as we wasn't sure where we would end up with regards property but sure I'll be fine once I get there and be complete as a family again xx

Hi, we live in Leonay which is close to Penrith. We have children aged 4 and 8, have been here over a year now and love the area.

I like Penrith itself, having spent much of the past three or four years working there. It has a proper 'town' feeling, as opposed to a 'suburb', with all the facilities you need, even an English style 'High Street!' I'm single remember, so my wants are probably different, but if I was to move to Penrith I would want to be walking distance to the station and town centre. There are some new homes going up to the north of the station? I used to look at them whilst I was waiting for the train back to Sydney, but I've not been there for eight months, so I guess things have changed?

Thanks maryrose, the property we have, hubby says it's about 15 min walk so probably bit more for me lol, there are some shops near the house and a play area round the corner and think he said it's about 15 mins to the high street so a close enough ☺️ Thanks x

I like Penrith itself, having spent much of the past three or four years working there. It has a proper 'town' feeling, as opposed to a 'suburb', with all the facilities you need, even an English style 'High Street!' I'm single remember, so my wants are probably different, but if I was to move to Penrith I would want to be walking distance to the station and town centre. There are some new homes going up to the north of the station? I used to look at them whilst I was waiting for the train back to Sydney, but I've not been there for eight months, so I guess things have changed?

The state schools are really easy to register and join here, we called up one day, went in the next and she joined the following week. There are some private schools around the area as well which have good results. Transport is great; register for opal cards for you and the kids, and can be used on the buses and trains (on Sundays $2.50 cap for unlimited travel on buses, trains and ferries so great for heading into the city and also into the blue mountains).

Loads to do in the area from wake boarding at the wake park, sailing in the lakes, kayaking on the nepean river, shopping in Westfield, walking in the lower mountain trails, sports at the panthers etc.

Great Indian restaurant in the town (Talking Tables). Good chinese food in Emu Plains, and generally great food all over. Also an Irish pub with kids play area in Emu Plains for something remotely resembling a UK pub if you miss that.

There are quite a few of us from the Penrith area on here, and occasionally meet ups taking place.

• 2 weeks later...

we are renting just outside of Penrith and I personally don't like it, the only good thing is the train station to get outta here and into the city. we have recently moved over here from New Zealand after living there for 10 years, but I am from the UK originally. The Blue Mountains are lovely but trying to buy in this crazy property market is just no fun..infact I cannot see it happening...Anyways just my opinion

we are renting just outside of Penrith and I personally don't like it, the only good thing is the train station to get outta here and into the city. we have recently moved over here from New Zealand after living there for 10 years, but I am from the UK originally. The Blue Mountains are lovely but trying to buy in this crazy property market is just no fun..infact I cannot see it happening...Anyways just my opinion

Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure about Penrith itself but we are looking for properties in Leonay or Glenbrook to buy (renting still) and it is a headache because everything is sold within a week of listing and often goes well over the asking price. We love the blue mountains and proximity to Sydney, but admittedly don't go into Penrith itself that much.

My wife actually is pushing for us to move away from the Sydney area because of the poor value for money in her opinion, and although our children are settled in a great school I am also starting to come around to the idea. I do like Leonay, Glenbrook and the mountains though.

I don't know what to advize. I live in the city - Surry Hills - and I own my home, and it's paid off. I bought it in 1987, partly with my parents' help, but when I was paying the mortgage off, things did not seem particularly easy, compared to today. I was working horrendous hours, and studying for a BA at UNSW, and the interest rates were at levels unheard of today - 18 per cent I think at one point.

I actually rather like Penrith, though I've never lived there, but I have worked there on and off for the past four years, at the ATO. They have not given me any work this year, which I am secretly pleased about because I hate commuting there. If I had just got a permanent job with them and I was at the start of my career, I would probably move to Penrith, not to the 'burbs that surround it, but Penrith itself, walking distance of the centre of town.

I would create a new life there, exactly the same way that I have done twice in Surry Hills. 'Twice' because I went back to England for twelve years. I did not move to Surry Hills because it was a 'groovy, funky, hip' suburb. I just wanted to live as close to my work at Garden Island Dockyard as I could.

I already know what Penrith has to offer. I like the fact it has a 'High Street' just like in England. I like the shops there, even the charity shops, particularly the charity shops! I like the little arcades that run off the High Street. I've been to all the pubs, and some of the clubs. I'd probably join Penrith Gaels club which is at KIngswood.

[h=3]Penrith Gaels Cultural and Sporting Association[/h]www.penrithgaels.com.au/

After work, I always had half an hour to kill waiting for the train so I got to know the little restaurant and cinema entertainment strip. Particularly in the summer months, I found it very pleasant, and Westfield itself, whilst probably drawing the life out of the High Street has all the services you need.

The cinema is there and if you want more 'culture' well, isn't there the 'Joan Sutherland Centre?'

[h=3]Joan Sutherland Performing Arts Centre: Home Page[/h]thejoan.com.au/

And here's another way of finding things to do in Penrith, or any other part of OZ for that matter.

http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/penrith/

I can't do anything about the raging property boom in Sydney. Sit it out and wait for things to cool? I don't know. It might be cheaper to live elsewhere in Australia, but it probably won't be any easier socially.

• 2 weeks later...