820 Visa - sponsor required to hold Australian passport?

hoiabaciu

Hi there,

I've been hanging around this forum for some time, but only just registered as I need to ask some advice! My partner (UK citizen) and I (sponsor) are planning on applying for my partner's 820 visa in about a month's time, and we have more or less all of our evidence and documents compiled. There is just one thing that is worrying me; the 40SP form has a section asking for my passport details, but I do not hold an Australian passport. I have plenty of evidence of my citizenship, having been born in Australia and having lived here my whole life, but will I also be required to apply for a passport before putting our application through?

Ideally I do not want to have to spend an additional several hundred dollars for a passport if I do not need one (no plans to travel overseas in the near future), but on the other hand I don't want to jeopardise our application if I do need to provide passport details and do not do so.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi there,

I've been hanging around this forum for some time, but only just registered as I need to ask some advice! My partner (UK citizen) and I (sponsor) are planning on applying for my partner's 820 visa in about a month's time, and we have more or less all of our evidence and documents compiled. There is just one thing that is worrying me; the 40SP form has a section asking for my passport details, but I do not hold an Australian passport. I have plenty of evidence of my citizenship, having been born in Australia and having lived here my whole life, but will I also be required to apply for a passport before putting our application through?

Ideally I do not want to have to spend an additional several hundred dollars for a passport if I do not need one (no plans to travel overseas in the near future), but on the other hand I don't want to jeopardise our application if I do need to provide passport details and do not do so.

Don't see why you need a passport - that's not definitive proof of citizenship anyway. You have your birth cert and citizenship cert and that should prove if well enough.

Hi there,

Birth certificate would be enough i would think...why would you need a passport?

Don't see why you need a passport - that's not definitive proof of citizenship anyway. You have your birth cert and citizenship cert and that should prove if well enough.

If the op was born in Australia they wouldn't have citizenship papers.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have a copy of my Australian birth certificate, which lists one of my parents as having been born in Australia, thus confirming my citizenship (no need for a citizenship certificate). As to why I would need a passport, I couldn't think of a reason myself, hence why I asked. The fact that the 40SP form specifically asks for passport details, rather than simply asking for proof of citizenship, was what was worrying me, but I am hoping that if I just include a copy of my birth certificate and a few other forms of ID, that it should be fine.