International English language testing system (IELTS)

milo 52

Hi everyone,

Just need some advice on IELTS test, my visa agent said I have to get a band 8 on it. I have brought a book ( The official Cambridge Guide to IELTS for academic & General Training) with DVD.

I do have dyslexia but not badly just the odd few words, reading is a bit slow and spelling. But I have not let it stopping me following my dreams :D

Anyway the question I need answering if anyone could help..

* Would it pay me to get a English tutor for a few hours every two weeks?

* How long would you study before putting your self in to IELTS?

* Would I get any extra time on the reading side?

*And is anyone Dyslexia and done the IELTS test?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFUL

CHEERS MILO :)

Hi everyone,

Just need some advice on IELTS test, my visa agent said I have to get a band 8 on it. I have brought a book ( The official Cambridge Guide to IELTS for academic & General Training) with DVD.

I do have dyslexia but not badly just the odd few words, reading is a bit slow and spelling. But I have not let it stopping me following my dreams :D

Anyway the question I need answering if anyone could help..

* Would it pay me to get a English tutor for a few hours every two weeks?

* How long would you study before putting your self in to IELTS?

* Would I get any extra time on the reading side?

*And is anyone Dyslexia and done the IELTS test?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFUL

CHEERS MILO :)

Hi Milo!

I've just recently made a post on my hubby and I's experience with IELTS, he's dyslexic too but only needed a 7, it might give you some insight. From what I've read getting 8's across the board is seemingly quite tricky if you're not a natural but equally possible with the right approach. I would strongly advise a tutor, make sure its someone associated with IELTS, someone who marks papers ideally, I believe you can find such tutors through IELTS themselves or I found ours on 'Tutor Hunt'.

We had 3 weeks between a 6 hour intensive tutoring session and spent those 3 weeks practising for an hour or two each evening most days in the week and more at weekends, it didn't feel like enough but turned out to be in our case. My hubby had done a practice IELTS test in Adelaide which was free and gave him an idea in advance of where he was at and therefore what he needed to improve upon which was most helpful, might be worth looking into whether they do these near you as knowing how much you need to improve by will help greatly in working out how much time and effort you need put in to get those 8's.

To get extra time on the test you need a professional dyslexia diagnosis which I think when I looked into this cost £250 or more if you haven't already got one. You need to submit this 5 weeks prior to sitting the exam otherwise they won't grant you the extra time, my hubby decided to proceed without, the time was a problem to him but he managed to scrape through although would have found the extra time VERY useful, if he had of failed i would have looked into a diagnosis.

Something that we found out some way into our IELTS journey is that there are other tests you can take instead which aren't necessarily easier but in a post I read recently on here the Pearson PTE test was deemed fairer. I would definitely look into the alternatives and research what might be better for someone with dyslexia, you might have invested in an IELTS book already however that's little to lose when this other member took and "failed" the IELTS 6 times before taking the Pearson PTE test and "passing" first time so in the long run you could be much better off.

I hope this helps answer your questions, all the very best with it!!

Hi Milo!

I've just recently made a post on my hubby and I's experience with IELTS, he's dyslexic too but only needed a 7, it might give you some insight. From what I've read getting 8's across the board is seemingly quite tricky if you're not a natural but equally possible with the right approach. I would strongly advise a tutor, make sure its someone associated with IELTS, someone who marks papers ideally, I believe you can find such tutors through IELTS themselves or I found ours on 'Tutor Hunt'.

We had 3 weeks between a 6 hour intensive tutoring session and spent those 3 weeks practising for an hour or two each evening most days in the week and more at weekends, it didn't feel like enough but turned out to be in our case. My hubby had done a practice IELTS test in Adelaide which was free and gave him an idea in advance of where he was at and therefore what he needed to improve upon which was most helpful, might be worth looking into whether they do these near you as knowing how much you need to improve by will help greatly in working out how much time and effort you need put in to get those 8's.

To get extra time on the test you need a professional dyslexia diagnosis which I think when I looked into this cost £250 or more if you haven't already got one. You need to submit this 5 weeks prior to sitting the exam otherwise they won't grant you the extra time, my hubby decided to proceed without, the time was a problem to him but he managed to scrape through although would have found the extra time VERY useful, if he had of failed i would have looked into a diagnosis.

Something that we found out some way into our IELTS journey is that there are other tests you can take instead which aren't necessarily easier but in a post I read recently on here the Pearson PTE test was deemed fairer. I would definitely look into the alternatives and research what might be better for someone with dyslexia, you might have invested in an IELTS book already however that's little to lose when this other member took and "failed" the IELTS 6 times before taking the Pearson PTE test and "passing" first time so in the long run you could be much better off.

I hope this helps answer your questions, all the very best with it!!

Thankyou so much for all this info, Its been a great help and I have hopefully found a Tutor to help me study for IELTS. After reading this it has boosted my confidence to do the test with Dyslexia and knowing that you can get extra time too is a bonus save me pulling my hair out thinking I won't finish in time. Will keep you posted on how I do. And a big congrats on passing you IELTS test..