Claiming 15 Points for Unassessed Degree via Distance Education

nishasharma

Hello There.

I've already filed 189 application last month. I have claimed 15 points (EDUCATION only) for a totally unrelated (to my skills) degree I got via Distance Education.

Now the thing is this degree from Madras University was not assessed because i assumed the University is CEP Grade 1 (which I still think it is).

My question is will the CO accept it or, well, just throw out my application because the degree is not assessed?

I have my diploma assessed by ACS but that I've used only to get work experience points.

Thanks in advance for your input!

From what ive read I thought to claim points for a degree it had to be closely related to the occupation your applying under and have it assessed by the relevant authority. However thats just my humble impression!

No, there is no requirement for the degree to be closely related.

OP you will get your points if the degree is recognised in Australia. I would be slightly concerned about a distant learning degree and would have taken some professional advice on this before applying. You have already applied, so nothing to do but wait and see what happens, there is no point taking advice now..

I can't see anything in the regulations or written policy that rules out counting distance education per se. However, as a matter of practice the case officer may be more likely to have doubts about a distance learning qualification.

Jupiter's suggestion to have your degree assessed by VETASSESS is a very good idea. If the advice from VETASSESS is positive, this will be highly persuasive, and you may not need to do anything more than this. If not, this is not necessarily the end of the matter, but it will make things difficult.

In the absence of positive VETASSESS points test advice, there are a few additional matters to consider.

Any material from Madras University that establishes the standard duration of the degree, such as a detailed course plan, will be very important. If the standard course duration is less than three years of full-time study or part-time equivalent, then your degree will not meet the definition of 'bachelor degree' under reg 2.26AC:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/mr1994227/s2.26ac.html

The case officer must also consider 'other relevant factors'. This can include a wide range of information sources, but written policy explicitly allows case officers to consider 'Country Education Profiles'. See:

https://aei.gov.au/Services-And-Resources/Services/Country-Education-Profiles/about-cep/Pages/default.aspx

If the VETASSESS advice is not positive, you might consider looking at the CEP for India (it costs $50 including GST) so you can see what conclusions the case officer might draw about your course from this source. We have never subscribed to the profile for India (I would have a look for you otherwise) so I cannot say whether it will contain anything directly relevant to your case.

You should just be aware that in the absence of positive points advice from VETASSESS or persuasive material from the course provider itself, the case officer may rely on the CEP.

Edited by Visa Law

If not, this is not necessarily the end of the matter, but it will make things difficult.

This is exactly what I have been counting on.

Thanks very much you wonderful people.

I currently have 65 points, so even if CO discounts degree I'm still left with 60 passing mark. This being "grey area", I'm just hoping CO will not outright refuse visa and instead settle with my assessed diploma.

After the introduction of invitation system, I've seen so many getting refused in spite of having passing mark. Jumping the queue by overclaiming points appears to be summarily rejected.

• 10 months later...
From the CEP

University of Madras, Chennai

Sections :

· Higher Education - SECTION 1

· Technical and Vocational Education - SECTION 2

Comments - State University

Hi Nisha,

im in the same boat as yourself.. I'm a marine engr.. My skills were assessed by AMSA.. I also have a BBA degree from Madras Uni which I did through correspondence.. Can u tell me what happened in your case? It would be of great help.. Thank you.