Withdrawing a previously declared dependent mother. Any adverse effect?

jeffjen0626

Hi folks, I just want to enquire if there's anyone here who happens to experience or might know the possible effect of withdrawing a dependent on a 176 visa app. Ours was filed on 6/13/11 and we were contacted by our CO in August of the same year to provide documents which are mostly focused on documentary evidence to support the full dependency of my mother, who was then my dependent (the one I refer above). We were able to provide those documents but my CO had not contacted us despite our multiple follow ups. Almost 3 years had gone by and many changes happened including the cessation of my mother's full dependency to my family as she already lives with her parents ever since her mother encountered a life threatening disease in July 2013, upon the request of her siblings which are all live abroad. Her siblings are actually the ones supporting them now. We were not able to inform DIAC about this development since we already lost our hope that our application will still push through. However, last Tuesday, a new CO was assigned to us and he was asking of latest evidence of my mother's full dependency to us which I'm afraid we cannot provide as this is not the case any more. What shall I do now? I hope there is someone here who can provide us a useful insight of our case since I think this is the only hindrance on our application because aside from this, the only pending documents now are the police clearances and medical examinations of me and my wife and the medical examination of our daughter Lianne. We will be really grateful of your inputs. Thanks in advance!!! Cheers..

You probably just need to send your CO a completed form 1022 "Notice of Change in Circumstances" on which you can advise them that your mother is no longer dependent and should be removed from the application.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1022.pdf

Thanks for your input. :) But how do you think my CO take that? Will it expedite ourapplication or the other way around. I was really thinking that this might adversely affect our application but i can't do anything about that since my mother is not interested anymore to migrate with us. And how about the documentary requirements the CO requested which are related to my mother? Does it automatically waive? Thanks maggiemay:)

I wouldn't think it should affect your application at all. You lodged it 2.5 years ago and in that time, the situation has changed so your mother has moved in with other family so is now dependent on them instead of you. Heck, in that time you could have married and had a couple of children, so I'm sure they're used to circumstances changing. They just need to be aware of what and why so they can update their records and process based on the new situation.

It'd probably be good when you send the completed 1022 form to include a question "Can you please confirm that with this change your request for information regarding my mother is no longer needed?" just to be sure.

Edited by MaggieMay24

I wouldn't think it should affect your application at all. You lodged it 2.5 years ago and in that time, the situation has changed so your mother has moved in with other family so is now dependent on them instead of you. Heck, in that time you could have married and had a couple of children, so I'm sure they're used to circumstances changing. They just need to be aware of what and why so they can update their records and process based on the new situation.

It'd probably be good when you send the completed 1022 form to include a question "Can you please confirm that with this change your request for information regarding my mother is no longer needed?" just to be sure.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your reply to my post. At least now I fell more comfortable in completing form 1022. Will update you of the outcome. Cheers!