Looking for basic info - Australian expat wants to go home

Kajikit

I moved to the US ten years ago to be married to an American. We've been very happy here, but it's time to think about giving Australia a go... what I don't understand is how to make it happen. Australian immigration seems to be even more convoluted than getting me here was! I'm an Australian citizen by birth and a US citizen by naturalisation, and DH is a US citizen. My family live in Australia, and I miss them. DH works in computers and has 20 years experience. Can I apply for a spousal visa when I have no income to support us?

Did you have to give up your Aus citizenship to become an American? I know that if you took another nationality prior to 2002 you lost your Aussie one (but can apply to have it restored I believe). That could have implications for you and your kids as if (heaven forbid) you had relinquished your citizenship when your kids were born then they may not be citizens by descent. Otherwise if you are still a citizen then an offshore partner visa is the way to go - no financial support requirements unlike UK spouse visa!

No, thank goodness. If I'd had to surrender my Australian cit, I wouldn't have gone for the US one. My fond hope was that we'd be able to go live in Aus again at some time after I got my US citizenship. As far as I know, my Australian citizenship is still valid. Do you mean that you DON'T have to do an affidavit of support (or the Aussie equivelant) to get a partner visa and demonstrate enough income to qualify, like we had to to get me into the US? That was the biggest stumbling block I could think of. We don't have to worry about passports for our children, because unfortunately we weren't able to have any. It's just me and my husband and a couple of cats...

Edited by Kajikit

If you are an Aus citizen have a read of this

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/309-100/how-to-apply.htm

There is a partner visa booklet PDF you can download from a link or two off those pages. Easy to find but in case

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Apply off shore, or you can apply on shore if you wish (takes longer, costs more).

I am in the UK and applied for mine off shore. 8-9 months from application lodgement to grant thereabouts. Aussie hubby who is the main earner.

No, thank goodness. If I'd had to surrender my Australian cit, I wouldn't have gone for the US one. My fond hope was that we'd be able to go live in Aus again at some time after I got my US citizenship. As far as I know, my Australian citizenship is still valid. Do you mean that you DON'T have to do an affidavit of support (or the Aussie equivelant) to get a partner visa and demonstrate enough income to qualify, like we had to to get me into the US? That was the biggest stumbling block I could think of. We don't have to worry about passports for our children, because unfortunately we weren't able to have any. It's just me and my husband and a couple of cats...

No you don't, re the earnings.

What you will need to show is a shared life together, money between accounts, income and so on but not to justify your income. Hubby is the Aussie and included 2 years worth of salary slips in my application to show he has supported us but we also showed where I paid some bills, taxed the car and so on. I also included bills to each of us at our various addresses, joint bank account info and so on. Just things putting us together as a couple over the years.

Drop me a PM if you've any questions or want to pick my brain, happy to try to help.

Thank you so much for the input (and the link to the immigration booklet!) We're going to have to consider this awhile... this was just dipping our toes in the water so to speak. The way things are going in the US, it just seems like it might be time to leave some time soon! I'm just so glad I stumbled on this forum. The Visajourney forum was absolutely a godsend to us in getting me to the US, and I hoped there was something similar for Aus. One thing I can see I'm going to have to do is renew my Australian passport before we do anything else... since I couldn't leave the US and come back until recently, I didn't bother to renew it.