Places to go

Quokka2005

Hiya guys

me and jake are looking for some ideas on places to visit. At the moment we are at mission beach and then heading to Townsville. Is there anywhere to visit between there?? What about places between Townsville and airlie? We don't want to miss any of the must do places but at the same time we are fairly limited on time and budget so we obviously can't do everything. We're doing Whitehaven beach, 1770, Fraser Island, magnetic island, Brisbane and I can't remember what else

Guest The Pom Queen

You have missed a lot of the waterfalls and babinda boulders as they are before Mission Beach. Cardwell is lovely for a stop on the way down for a cafe break. Hitchinbrook Island is suppose to be lovely but we haven't got over there yet.

I would recommend calling in at Airlie, I could spend a week there. If your budget stretches to it take a seaplane over heart reef, it is fantastic, they do a tour that covers that and takes you to Whitehaven. Don't forget to call in at Cape Hillsborough and say hi to a beaut old bloke for me. You have to go to Noosa Heads it's lovely, hire a boat for the day on the river. It's a shame you have had a rushed visit up in the Far North as you have missed out on some beautiful places, but then we have been here for years and still not seen it all. What date do you reach Brissy? Are you off to Sydney then? I may see you again in Sydney if you are there for March.

We went to 2 or 3 different waterfalls, tbh I'm a bit sick of them. I like wildlife things and islands. I'm not so into waterfalls and things like that. I feel like we got to see quite a bit for the time that we were there - we went to Cape tribulation and daintree rainforest twice, reef tour and a few other things too. We really can't stay too long in each place plus I was a bit over the weather by then.

Yeah we are definitely stopping at airlie. We talked about getting rooms with air con for one night at Townsville but I might see if he wants to do that at airlie cos we should be there on his birthday. I would love to do the flight over the reef, I'll have to price it up.

We we don't have exact date for Brisbane, just whenever we've got to see as much as possible but we both need to work ASAP so we will seperate for that. I haven't a clue where I'll settle. I guess I'll give Brisbane a try unless I give Sydney another go.. I'd like to try Melbourne but I heard it's difficult for work at the moment. Maybe I'll just end up buggering off to another outback pub for a few months

You have done FNQ at the speed of light which is a shame because you have missed a lot of interesting and beautiful places. Have you considered going into a tourist information centre and having an in depth chat with one of the staff in there? It might help you work out what you want to see and where everything is between Mission Beach and Brissy. That way you could plan the drive so you don't blow past things on the way because you didn't realise they were there.

Well it would be very nice to stay in FNQ for longer but I don't have loads of money so we just had to pick the main things we wanted to do which was the reef and daintree/Cape trib. Plus we went a few other places that I can't remember the name of. Stayed at Ellis beach a few nights etc. we're going to pop into the tourist place tomorrow and ask if there's anything to see from here to Townsville and then to airlie. I'm really looking forward to magnetic island

Guest The Pom Queen
Well it would be very nice to stay in FNQ for longer but I don't have loads of money so we just had to pick the main things we wanted to do which was the reef and daintree/Cape trib. Plus we went a few other places that I can't remember the name of. Stayed at Ellis beach a few nights etc. we're going to pop into the tourist place tomorrow and ask if there's anything to see from here to Townsville and then to airlie. I'm really looking forward to magnetic island

I haven't done magnetic yet it's on our doorstep now, but personally I would prefer places like Fitzroy, green island or any of the Whitsundays.

You would easily have found work in Cairns or Innisfail/Ingham although it's usually hostel work, fruit picking or service stations. I know Chillagoe always take on back packers to help in the caravan park or at the cabins doing bar work, waiting on tables or working in the shop. Also Undara Lava Tubes take on backpackers and up in Mossman they take on backpackers to help with the tours they do in quad bikes etc. Anyway you have moved down South now so the next place for backpacker jobs is going to be Airlie but then the majority of backpackers tend to go there.