Moving to oz

elmo01

So we are a couple living in the UK (were in our 20s) and are looking to move September 2016.

So far we have a job (almost confirmed) although closer to the time we would know 100%.

My understanding is we need our whv (which we will apply for in January and that will mean when we enter the country in September we can work for a full year). We are going to stay with friends in Perth for 2 weeks before we head to Darwin for work for 6-12 months and in that time applying for our 2nd year.

Once we arrive we will apply for our tax numbers and bank accounts.

To my knowledge that's all we need, is there anything were missing?

How about health insurance? I can't find anything to cover us for a year :/.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Flights from Dublin for this year would be £700 for both us then the visas are £250 ish each so all in it seems about £1200 would get everything we need (except insurance) as when we head over and order our tax numbers and bank accounts that's free I believe.

I hope you realise that a WHV condition is that you can only work for each employer for up to 6 months in each 12 month period. You should also have access to AUD$5000 each when you arrive in Australia to cover you for periods of unemployment. You may get away with less than 10k between you particularly if you have evidence of having work lined up but if you're asked, you will need to have a substantial amount.

There are plenty of health insurance companies that provide insurance for people on temporary visas. Here are links to a couple of the larger insurers:

http://www.medibank.com.au/Visitors-Cover/About-Visitors-Cover/Working-Visa-Hospital-Insurance.aspx Medibank

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/cover/overseas-visitors BUPA

You should also have good travel insurance - make sure you get one that covers you for manual labour. If you have a serious accident, travel insurance will cover you for repatriation to your home country plus other expenses not covered by health insurance.

Thanks for the info. Yea we know about the 6 months with one employer so are hoping to do the 6 months and apply for our second year then head to Perth, but if I read a post earlier right then if we are approved for 2nd year then we can stay another 6 months with the same employer as its a new visa or did I read it wrong. Is it $5000 each? I was told it was only $2500. Yea we could have proof of work lined up no problem by the time were leaving :)

As I said in my post "you can only work for each employer for up to 6 months in each 12 month period", so you can go back to an employer you worked for during the first 6 months.

It's supposed to be $5000 per WHV holder. You'll probably get away with less than that given that you'll be travelling together (and you may not even be asked - it's pretty random) but the actual rule is 5k each. If you ahve evidence of a job or jobs to go to, you'll be fine. They really just want to know that you'll have enough money to survive on without becoming a burden on the community.

That's awesome thanks for the info, should have the 5000 each anyway so shouldn't be a problem. Good to know about the employer part thanks for clarifying for me :)

So in theory I could work for an employer for 6 months and get my 2nd year then work for a new employer for the other 6 months then because the year would be over I could continue with said employer for a further 6 months?

Also how does it work if we wanted to stay on after the 2nd year?

Sorry for all the questions I just like to know all outcomes lol

Edited by elmo01

That's awesome thanks for the info, should have the 5000 each anyway so shouldn't be a problem. Good to know about the employer part thanks for clarifying for me :)

So in theory I could work for an employer for 6 months and get my 2nd year then work for a new employer for the other 6 months then because the year would be over I could continue with said employer for a further 6 months?

Also how does it work if we wanted to stay on after the 2nd year?

Sorry for all the questions I just like to know all outcomes lol

You could do it continuously only if you work with the employer for the second half of the first visa and the first half of the second visa. So if you are leaving in September 2016 you would start work with the employer in about March 2017. Very strange that you can line up a job so far in the future!

If you want to stay then you would have to see if you are eligible for any other visas, probably skilled migration, what are your occupations? Have you checked to see if you are eligible?

You could do it continuously only if you work with the employer for the second half of the first visa and the first half of the second visa. So if you are leaving in September 2016 you would start work with the employer in about March 2017. Very strange that you can line up a job so far in the future!

If you want to stay then you would have to see if you are eligible for any other visas, probably skilled migration, what are your occupations? Have you checked to see if you are eligible?

I know someone who runs the farm so am almost gareteed as long as they are still there. Its all hypothetical at the minute. I just like to think positively. Nothing is certain at all though :/