Will be first time in oz on WHV

kieren87

hi all,

im 26 travelling by myself, want to book my flight out to australia for 4 weeks time, im struggling to find a place to start my trip!! i dont like planning and kinda do things off the spare of the moment, im not fussy so any type of work i can get ill grab with both hands, i want to land somewhere busy and bussling so a city really. Anyone recommend a good place to start off?? somewhere theres alot of jobs - bar work - waiter so on .... im going to book into a hostel for first couple of weeks, will be a good way to meet people,any advice will be really apprieciated

cheers kieren

I'd start in either Melbourne or Sydney. Melbourne would get my vote as a place to start. Good as you can then make your way up/along to Sydney and Brisbane afterwards when you've seen Melbourne.

I'd start in either Melbourne or Sydney. Melbourne would get my vote as a place to start. Good as you can then make your way up/along to Sydney and Brisbane afterwards when you've seen Melbourne.

melbourne climate probably best to "break yourself in". Can be 4 seasons in one day at times...

You could start anywhere! There's always backpacker areas and jobs in any city so is just go with the cheapest flight. Or look at what you like best, beach, urban city, small city, and pick accordingly.

All things being equal Melbourne is a good starter if you don't want to see Adelaide and then you can pretty much travel in one direction up the coast as said above.

I have to say though there's something about flying in over the harbour bridge and Sydney opera house that's very exciting.

• 3 months later...

I would start in Melbourne. This time of year staff is wanted on the nearby ski resorts. Although it has been unseasonably warm in Melbourne and there is no sign of snow in the high country yet. If you want to avoid winter altogether get up to Cairns or Port Douglas.

Hi kieren,

I'm gonna be in sydney from 26th September! When abouts are you heading out there?

Hi Georgina I flew out in march to Melbourne stayed there for a month then drove to Perth and I've been here for a month also :) I start work in a hotel quite soon so going to save then, do my farm work and travel the east coast in the summer!! Bet you cant wait for your adventure to start!?!