Seeking advice for more freelance based WHV

abarron87

Hi all.

In 2010 I visited Oz for 5 weeks, did the east coast and saw Melbourne too. I've since started a career in Web Development (which is on the needed skills list) back in London and will have 3+ years experience soon. Basically I'm getting itchy feet and wanting to get back there, possibly from January 2014 when I've got a 3 week holiday booked.

I'm thinking of getting a WHV and doing some freelance jobs that I can get online just to help with the travelling aspect. I'm looking for advice really on a number of things as well as examples of other peoples experiences. When I did my round the world trip in 2010 I didn't work along the way, and was thinking this time I'd see how I felt as the year went on. I'd like to keep developing my skills as I go but I'm not adverse to backpacker jobs as you meet a lot of great people that way. However I don't want to hostel it for the whole 12 months.

I think if I find living and working in Oz enjoyable I'd try applying for a 457 visa if/when I got a job offer. However, I don't want to not make the most of my one WHV that I'm entitled to!

So I guess what I'd like to know is:

Is it easy to rent a room whilst on a WHV (looking to base myself in Melbourne)?

If I freelance with jobs online, would I have to bill that from Australia and get an Australian Business Number (I've heard that is hassle) or could I get away with not doing that as they are unlikely to pay huge amounts?

Has anyone else used the WHV for more career type work rather than seasonal/bar work?

Any advice is much appreciated!

I wouldn't mind knowing some more about this as well. My boss has said there may be a chance of doing some work for him whilst I'm there.

I reckon if they just paid into the usual account as though I was still in the UK it would be fine, but not too sure.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't mind knowing some more about this as well. My boss has said there may be a chance of doing some work for him whilst I'm there.

I reckon if they just paid into the usual account as though I was still in the UK it would be fine, but not too sure.

Depends what you mean by "it would be fine". If you mean would you get away with it, then very possibly. If you mean is that legal, then no definitely not. Income you earn from work you carry out whilst you are in Australia, is taxable in Australia.

I read in another thread that there be issues with this because it may constitute tax evasion. Some information would be appreciated :)

As above, for sure this would be tax evasion. If you are hoping to get further visas to stay in Australia, which might involved proving your past work experience, then I would recommend doing things properly.