Partner Visa 820 - Divorce Issue

Sarahelle

Hi all, I hope you can help me.

I lodged my partner visa 820 in May 2011 with my medical and have so far not been assigned a case officer. My problem is my Australian partner was previously married and at the time of lodgment his ex was drawing up a petition for their divorce from the UK (she lives there and that is where they were married) I told immigration I would forward the divorce paperwork as this was a year ago and I thought we would have it in time.

However, my partner did not receive the petition until October 2011 which he signed and returned the same day, and now nearly 6 months on his ex still hasn't returned it to the courts as she was meant to and I'm beginning to panic. We decided to try for a separation certificate, but his ex still has to sign it. All I have to send immigration is a copy of the petition paperwork but it has been signed by both of them and also the courts and a JP here. Do you think it could make a difference? I realise it is stipulated as a requirement and we are doing our best to get it.

I called immigration and they told me rightly, that the case officer would request it and if I don't have it, it would be viewed as an incomplete application, so I'm really very worried about it. As it is, they haven't started processing my application yet but she told me that it would more than likely be reviewed in May, which would be 12 months from lodgement.

Also, my medical is due to expire at the end of May, so does that mean that since they haven't started processing it yet, that I might have to re-do it? Or is it at the discretion of the case officer?

Many thanks for any help. Sorry if I rambled a bit.

Sarah xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry to hear that things not going well with your application. Maybe get some advice from a RMA on where to go next.

Your medicals and PCC are only valid for 1 year and this is the date usually given to validate your visa - your CO might extend your validation date, but you might need to do them again.

Archived