Need some advice or personal experience on something

AaronS

Not sure what to do and need some advice....maybe some of ya'll have had to make a similar choice. About 3 weeks ago I had mentioned to my former manager that we wanted to come back. I woke up this morning to three emails from three different people where I worked in the US. Two managers and the VP of Operations. They want me to come back to my job.....right away. This will be a tough decision. We'd have to split up the family. I'd need to take one or two kids with me and we'd be apart for a minimum of 6 months but most likely a year. Is it worth it? Those that have split the family like this (going either direction), how did you manage?

If you are going back for good anyway, as you have decided to do I believe, then I would probably chance it tbh. It's when the split has an open-ended time limit on it that I would be more cautious

It's not ideal but......you're heading home anyway, you know you'll be happier there, the job might not hold itself open for ever, etc etc......

Guest famousfive

We were seperated as a family for 6mths,not by such a vast distance but seperated all the same.We only saw each other for two days in that time.For us it was hard but it went fine.We did not split the kids though and I would strongly advise not to do so,being away from a parent is hard enough but being away from a sibling too could be a step too far.

We skyped every night which was great but to be honest after about 4mths we started running out of conversation,especially the kids.

If the opportunity is one which will put you,as a family,in a good position for the future then it is worth considering.....if not then I would not put such a strain on the family.Our kids were 9,10 and 12 and were used to having me as their go to parent because dad worked long shifts as a chef.....if very hands on as a parent then the kids will find the split harder to deal with I should imagine.

All the best....tough decision that one.

Guest Bazinga

I wouldn't split the kids up but I'd go. We have been apart from my husband for 7 months. It's not easy but it is doable but I wouldn't split my kids up from each other.

Ok, I don't have kids but if they offered me my job back in the Uk I would be packed in an hour and on the plane. Sorry for my husband but hey, he would join me as soon as he could, shut up things here, and it would also mean time to set things up the other end too. My only concern is your kiddos, will you have some help the other end? If as I imagine the answer is yes then go for your life mate, you were planning this anyway!!! Good luck Aaron

Well as I am in week two of a seven month split (husband is in the Army and is on operational tour) I uld say it is hard but perfectly doable. You have to be certain that if you do split the child care you both can separately cope with child care needs - will you both have access to a good support network. I mean if a child is ill who will take over the usual nursey/school hours? If you can cope with that and you can make sure you do not fall into the 'my day was harder than your day' mentality I think you should go for it. Having a job and an income is a huge part of making a move work and the time spent apart will fade into the distnce once you are back together, working, enjoying life and (hopefully) have 'no worries'!!

Guest Guest31881

Its a tough choice, I was split from my wife for around 6 months while I waited for my visa and she was in Australia sorting things out, it can be a solution but it can be hard as well, My main concern would be splitting the kids, they may not cope to well with being split from their siblings.

Good luck what ever you choose.

Thanks for all the input so far. I responded to the emails telling them I'm interested and that I could arrange to be back quickly (tried not to sound like a giddy kid). Thing on the kiddos is we'll have to use child care (I'm watching them now) and it's much cheaper in the US....by much cheaper we are talking $700 a month compared to $2000 a month for my 3 year old son. That's a US mortgage payment in saving. Our oldest could stay here....she's old enough to manage herself after school so no extra cost for care on her. The middle one is the delima. In kindy but can't manage after school so after school care is in order. It makes sense to bring her back with me because after school care is cheaper in the US as well....plus no $4500 a year in school fees. Honestly it makes sense for all of them to come back with me but 3 kids would be tough to manage alone (for either of us). Hope I'm not counting my proverbial eggs before they are hatched, but seems that me heading back for the same job at the same pay would be the smartest thing to do.

Ok, I don't have kids but if they offered me my job back in the Uk I would be packed in an hour and on the plane. Sorry for my husband but hey, he would join me as soon as he could, shut up things here, and it would also mean time to set things up the other end too. My only concern is your kiddos, will you have some help the other end? If as I imagine the answer is yes then go for your life mate, you were planning this anyway!!! Good luck Aaron

Yes on the help on the other side. Both of my parents, both of my wife's parents and my brothers are ready, willing and able to help in the interum. They want us back almost as much as we want to be back.

Archived