WA electrical licensing and how it is as of today !!

woodymcfc

I have to apply for my license here in WA through energy safety, If you read my previous posts although I am an industrial maintenance electrician, I also carry out installation work but not domestic... My ARTC process has been a nightmare and is still ongoing. I have my electrical fitters ARTC to which I will be doing a one day course to gain my restricted license (fitting work only), I have been offered a job with this license in what I have been doing since I served my time 20 yrs ago. TRA will NOT issue an ARTC until you are in Oz. They require a copy of your stamped passport with date of entry.. Once you get your ARTC you can then apply to energy safety for your license. This application will take 4 weeks to process, because energy safety are apparently understaffed and overworked !! When you receive the letter from energy safety it will allow you to enrol on a course at your local tafe. For Electrical mechanic This is a 2 week electrical trade licensing course (IEE regs course in UK). Depending on the availability of courses you could be waiting for a long time, I have made enquiries only last week and the next available course here in WA is the end of MAY !!! With this letter you receive from Energysafety you also get a 'permit to work' this allows you to work supervised until you get your license, you have 12 months to get your license sorted with this..that is how it is in WA, I have spoken with one of the top dogs at Energysafety and this has been explained to me in detail... I got fed up with being given conflicting advice from the administrators at these places and eventually got to speak with someone who actually knew what they were talking about, hope this helps...

Edited by woodymcfc

Guest wendyd

Your Information is 100% Correct & True My Husband Is Doing His Licence in June, Got His ARTC in Feb Applied From Ireland Last October We Went Through skillshortagesolutions.com they were Fantastic Really Helpful & Also Secured Work On Arrival In perth For Him Thank You Michael In Cork & Jason In perth

Good Luck

Hi, thanks for the post very useful. Your situation is very similar to mine as I am an industrial maintenance electrician and when I apply will also probably be issued a electrical fitters licience. Im still unclear to a couple of point with regard to obtaining a license which I hope you can help with.

When you say "I have my electrical fitters ARTC to which I will be doing a one day course to gain my restricted license (fitting work only)" does this mean once you have been classified as a electrical fitter you are required to complete a one day course to get the license at a TAFE?

Also when you say " For Electrical mechanic This is a 2 week electrical trade licensing course (IEE regs course in UK)." Is this if you are classified as a electrical mechanic by the ATRC? and if you are classified as a fitter its just a one day course?

Thanks for your help.

r10ley

Yes that's correct , the only place where the one day course for the a class license(restricted to fitting work only) is at polytechnic west, 4hr theory and 3hr practical. The theory is done every Monday and Friday and the practical once a month ! If you have the mechanic one (unrestricted) you can do the two week course.

When I applied I put down fitter and mechanic (dual trade), TRA only gave me the fitters ARTC but asked me to sit a one day trade test (diffrent from the license course) to gain my mechanics ARTC. I am still waiting for the result from this. If I am successful then depending on timing for courses I'm hoping just to sit the 2 week ETL course to which I'll obtain my unrestricted license. I have said in the past, and no disrespect to installation electricians , in my opinion Energysafety and TRA seem to class installation sparks a better class when it comes to work, ask an installation spark to interrogate a PLC program or set up a variable speed drive and they wouldn't have a clue. Ask a maintenance spark to throw in a 50mm SWA with all traywork and connect up to the mains and they can do it, see where I'm coming from. These licensing rules apparently have not changed since the 1920's when maintenance sparks dealt with motors and nothing much else !

Edited by woodymcfc

Hi, yeah I totally agree, ive lost the amount of times ive winged to my partner about how silly the system is. Out of interest what did the practical exam involve to gain the mechanical license?

Thanks for your help

r10ley

Hi, yeah I totally agree, ive lost the amount of times ive winged to my partner about how silly the system is. Out of interest what did the practical exam involve to gain the mechanical license?

Thanks for your help

r10ley

Not got the mechanical ARTC yet, goes to committe next Wednesday. The practical involved isolating a 3 phase motor, disconnecting and reconnecting. Wiring up a flu and testing a domestic circuit, which is where I struggled a bit. Don't do domestic you see and I'm not 2391 inspection & testing qualified. Hopefully did enough to pass... Parts of the theory took me back 20 years also, most of it easy enough but other parts hard to remember.

Not got the mechanical ARTC yet, goes to committe next Wednesday. The practical involved isolating a 3 phase motor, disconnecting and reconnecting. Wiring up a flu and testing a domestic circuit, which is where I struggled a bit. Don't do domestic you see and I'm not 2391 inspection & testing qualified. Hopefully did enough to pass... Parts of the theory took me back 20 years also, most of it easy enough but other parts hard to remember.

I took my test in 2006 to get my A grade licence for Electrical Mechanic. My ARTC was graded as this and again it took me 5 months to get my licence from the time I arrived until I got my hands on my silver Card. I find it a bit strange that you guys are receiving ARTC Electrical Fitter. Before I went to Oz I had been an industrial spark for 18 years and was awarded the Electrical mechanics licence. On the subject also I renewed my licence last year and the Electrical mechanic letters are no longer printed. Only an EW number. So Maybe it does not matter what you are classed as now?

Just a note though to any electricians coming over- That A grade licence is like GOLD. You do need it to work over here. I don't want to scare people but until you receive that card you will NOT be allowed to work as an Electrician. As someone said before this could take upto 6 months even if you have everything in order.

When you refer to an A grade license, is this a electrical mechanics license, can a fitter get an A grade license? I have my 2391 and do a bit of test and inspection for my company although im not registered with anyone like the NIC etc. Who knows how they work it out, probably just depends on their mood.

Thanks

r10ley

When you refer to an A grade license, is this a electrical mechanics license, can a fitter get an A grade license? I have my 2391 and do a bit of test and inspection for my company although im not registered with anyone like the NIC etc. Who knows how they work it out, probably just depends on their mood.

Thanks

r10ley

A grade is the licence you need to work in WA as an Electrician. You have a restricted licence in which you can work under an A grade electrician. The A grade formally came in the forms of A grade Electrical mechanic or Electrical Fitter. I have been in WA for 6 years and still don't know what the difference is. I was employed by a firm initially that just let you work under the restricted licence, but somehow had a licence that you could work under if you had just come straight off the plane. It was a major global company but to this day I still don't think it was legit.As I stated in my previous post the A grade licence that I renewed last year has now just got an EW number on it so does not distinguish what type you have. Maybe they just recognise you as an General Electrician as in the U.K. Someone else may know for sure but still seems a grey area.

A grade is the licence you need to work in WA as an Electrician. You have a restricted licence in which you can work under an A grade electrician. The A grade formally came in the forms of A grade Electrical mechanic or Electrical Fitter. I have been in WA for 6 years and still don't know what the difference is. I was employed by a firm initially that just let you work under the restricted licence, but somehow had a licence that you could work under if you had just come straight off the plane. It was a major global company but to this day I still don't think it was legit.As I stated in my previous post the A grade licence that I renewed last year has now just got an EW number on it so does not distinguish what type you have. Maybe they just recognise you as an General Electrician as in the U.K. Someone else may know for sure but still seems a grey area.

My understanding is that you get the A grade electrical license in both mechanic and fitter but with the fitter it says that you are restricted to fitting work only not sure 100% what the difference is exactlybut I know it relates to restrictions on connecting up to the mains !

Edited by woodymcfc

Guest Number 1 pom
A grade is the licence you need to work in WA as an Electrician. You have a restricted licence in which you can work under an A grade electrician. The A grade formally came in the forms of A grade Electrical mechanic or Electrical Fitter. I have been in WA for 6 years and still don't know what the difference is. I was employed by a firm initially that just let you work under the restricted licence, but somehow had a licence that you could work under if you had just come straight off the plane. It was a major global company but to this day I still don't think it was legit.As I stated in my previous post the A grade licence that I renewed last year has now just got an EW number on it so does not distinguish what type you have. Maybe they just recognise you as an General Electrician as in the U.K. Someone else may know for sure but still seems a grey area.[/quotetheFt

Alright lads,

I'm hoping to move Perth in about 18 months, I'm a time served electrician graded to site technician with JIB and recently move up into project management. Is anything I can do in England before I go to speed the license process? If not, do you think that I would get work?

A grade is the licence you need to work in WA as an Electrician. You have a restricted licence in which you can work under an A grade electrician. The A grade formally came in the forms of A grade Electrical mechanic or Electrical Fitter. I have been in WA for 6 years and still don't know what the difference is. I was employed by a firm initially that just let you work under the restricted licence, but somehow had a licence that you could work under if you had just come straight off the plane. It was a major global company but to this day I still don't think it was legit.As I stated in my previous post the A grade licence that I renewed last year has now just got an EW number on it so does not distinguish what type you have. Maybe they just recognise you as an General Electrician as in the U.K. Someone else may know for sure but still seems a grey area.[/quotetheFt

Alright lads,

I'm hoping to move Perth in about 18 months, I'm a time served electrician graded to site technician with JIB and recently move up into project management. Is anything I can do in England before I go to speed the license process? If not, do you think that I would get work?

I don't know whats going on with relation to visas at the moment. The electrical licence in WA is the A Grade which 99% of employers will want you to have before you become employable. It is a long road to getting this once you arrive on Australia's shores. Initially you will go to the licencing office in Leederville only to be told that you have to get your trade recognised by ARTC. This will take a least a month and then you go back to the licencing office ready to get your licence. They then tell you you have to I believe do a 2 week course now to get you ready for the testing. This consists of practical and theory exam. A few days later you get your results to see if you pass. This in my experience took all of 5 months since when I landed. Reading other posts there seems to be a course you can do in the U.K but costs a fortune. It seems a long winded affair to get your licence, but once you have it you feel a sence of achievement. It certainly beats the English system where virtually anybody can be an electrician if they wish after a couple of weeks course. Also once you have it you can secure employment pretty quickly, as I say the licence is priceless for anyone seeking employment in W.A. Someone may know of a better and easier route, but this is the only way I've heard of from all sparks I know in Perth. We all follow the rules of the land and you can only respect the way they do it.

Guest Number 1 pom

I don't know whats going on with relation to visas at the moment. The electrical licence in WA is the A Grade which 99% of employers will want you to have before you become employable. It is a long road to getting this once you arrive on Australia's shores. Initially you will go to the licencing office in Leederville only to be told that you have to get your trade recognised by ARTC. This will take a least a month and then you go back to the licencing office ready to get your licence. They then tell you you have to I believe do a 2 week course now to get you ready for the testing. This consists of practical and theory exam. A few days later you get your results to see if you pass. This in my experience took all of 5 months since when I landed. Reading other posts there seems to be a course you can do in the U.K but costs a fortune. It seems a long winded affair to get your licence, but once you have it you feel a sence of achievement. It certainly beats the English system where virtually anybody can be an electrician if they wish after a couple of weeks course. Also once you have it you can secure employment pretty quickly, as I say the licence is priceless for anyone seeking employment in W.A. Someone may know of a better and easier route, but this is the only way I've heard of from all sparks I know in Perth. We all follow the rules of the land and you can only respect the way they do it.

Thanks Rio,

Did you find employment in the 5 months leading up to you gaining a licence? I've heard through the grape vine that you can work as a mate while you wait for your licence, is this true?

Thanks Rio,

Did you find employment in the 5 months leading up to you gaining a licence? I've heard through the grape vine that you can work as a mate while you wait for your licence, is this true?

No not as an Electrician. Did not work as a spark until I got my licence. Although people do work as mates. Never went down that route myself.

Guest Number 1 pom

No not as an Electrician. Did not work as a spark until I got my licence. Although people do work as mates. Never went down that route myself.

What did you do for work??

I am now currently in Perth but did the Adelaide route to cross my Electrical License from an English one to Australian. I got recognised as an Electrical Fitter due to my background at a Power Plant and rarely doing installation work..The thing it though once I got my South Australia Electrical License it said on it "Unrestricted Electrical License, Can perform any Electrical Work". Its the same when I came to cross it from SA to WA, again they asked to see my ARTC Cert at the Energy Safety spot in Perth and my SA License. Once I recieved my WA License no mention of being a fitter or mech.

In summary wouldnt worry too much about whether you get Mech or Fitter. All in all hardest part was getting Trade Recognised, getting apprentice papers sent from UK. After that was just a case of going to Adelaide for 4 days to do AUS/NZ 2007/3000 Wiring Regs course and then lodging application for SA Elec License on day I passed course. If you need any help feel free to drop us a message as I know it can be a bit daunting.

Shaun

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gill n ian

i hope you lovely people can help. my husband and i and family arrived recently in Perth and he has recently received his restricted licence till he completes his two week college course. howevet this is not until July. my question is can guide us with temp work till then, knowledge of any companies that will take him on as a restricted worker and then poss keep him on after the course. Or any recruitment companies?? your advice is much appreciated

thanks in advance