Medibank

Guest sandyfernandes73

Guest sandyfernandes73

I am toying with the idea of taking their BASIC HOSPITAL COVER. Any one who has had the experience of claiming against this cover please advise me !!!!

There is not a black and white reply to this. Doctors charge different amounts, hospitals charge different amounts, and Insurers have different polices available. No 2 peoples experience with the hospital system and what they claim back will never be the same.

IMO, unless you are not a very healthy person, are getting on in years or need the Insurance because you have to pay the extra medicare levy, I wouldn't bother. For the most part Australia has a good public system. Even taking out Extra's can be a rip off if your teeth are good. Eye tests are free, so you only pay for the glasses or contacts, which in most cases will cost less per year that the premiums you will have paid.

Depending what state your going to you may need Ambulance cover.

Guest Guest31881

I would agree with tisme, everyone is different, I have no insurance cover and have received excellent treatment since being here,

My Brother in-law has insurance and needed a hip replacement. When he saw his consultant it was a case of well we can get you in to operate in two weeks and there will be a gap payment of around $2000. (Difference between cost of operation and what insurance company will pay for the op) My brother in-law ask what about not using his insurance and was informed the wait was around 4 months, but he could be called in quicker if there is a cancellation, he opted not to use insurance. five weeks later he had a phone call, there was a cancellation so he could have the op. he went in had the op ( with the same surgeon) and was soon fully mobile with of course no gap payment to make.

Guest sandyfernandes73

thanks guys,but we cannot wait long coz we need our jobs and dont have much paid sick leave......

still I was wondering if someone with BASIC HOSPITAL COVER from MEDIBANK can share his experience with me......

Archived