Help please I am worried

Guest Missiemo

Guest Missiemo

Hi

I have read somewhere on here about some problems newbies arriving in Oz have had with taxi drivers taking the longest route as they know you do not know the area and generally over charging. :cry:

Can anybody put my mind at rest, when we first arrive in Oz at 7pm in the evening we will be needing to take a cab to South Yarra Apartments, and do not have a clue on the direction or cost. :cry:

Many Thanks

Missiemo

only 3 weeks and two days left in UK

Guest forshac

:D Hi Mo,

Dont worry..It's so safe in Australia!!

The cab drivers are generally pleasant...The airport is about half hour drive ish..Probably cost you £25 to £35 ish I thoug they were fairly dear also...No I know why.

Guest Beki

Don't worry, be happy. Get the cabby to give you a rough esimate of the price before you leave, don't be shy, stand your ground!

Guest ABCDiamond
Don't worry, be happy. Get the cabby to give you a rough esimate of the price before you leave, don't be shy, stand your ground!
Better still get him to give you a fixed price :)

I did that in UK last time. Fixed price was £100, but the meter said £160 when we arrived !

The same distance cab fare in Sydney was near enough $100.

Guest lholmes
Hi

I have read somewhere on here about some problems newbies arriving in Oz have had with taxi drivers taking the longest route as they know you do not know the area and generally over charging. :cry:

Can anybody put my mind at rest, when we first arrive in Oz at 7pm in the evening we will be needing to take a cab to South Yarra Apartments, and do not have a clue on the direction or cost. :cry:

Many Thanks

Missiemo

only 3 weeks and two days left in UK

It's the same anywhere you travel! Most cabbies in Aus are genuine, although you do get your few bad eggs. It's not really like in the UK where you get your 'black cabs'. They are all registered with big name companies or they have private registration and would lose that if they were found ripping customers off.

Perhaps give the hotel where you are staying a call and ask if they do shuttles (Airport bus transfers). They would also be able to give you a rough guess on how much it would cost in a cab.

Also have a look at http://www.whereis.com/whereis/home.do which will give you a general idea of where you are heading and how long it should take.

Cheers,

Archived