Medicare- Will I have to pay for my 17 year old daughters pysiotherapy?

veronica

My daughter had a knee operation a few weeks ago, everything was going well with her physio etc now she is back in hospital and had to have surgery again this week due to an infection, The recovery is 6-12month of physio. We are moving to Perth at the end of June so she will obviuosly have to continue with her physio. Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost?

It costs me about sixty dollars a visit, just had my knee replaced and have to have physio. Physio is not covered by medicare unless its carried out when in hospital. Private health do have an extras policy which covers these other medical needs and we had it for a long time but in the end it was not worth it. Once you spend a certain amount on medical you can get a tax refund I think its something like twenty two cents in the dollar, I don't do our tax so not up with it.

With private health there is usually a 12 month period before you can claim for an existing condition.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kitkat37

I'm a uk physio working in Melbourne.

If u go to a GP when you get here they can get you 10 sessions/yr of subsidized private physio. You can also be referred to a public hospital by GP - wait maybe longer but nothing like in UK (they should be able to tell u on referral - my hospital u can be seen within 2wks)

Just check visa conditions - if u have permanent residency u can go the route I described.

If not u may hav to pay out of pocket which can be $60-90 a session. Just ensure the physio is registered with AHPRA.

Guest kitkat37

Can't talk about other public hospitals but we charge $15 a 30min session. If u go to a private physio with GP concession for 10 treatments you will get a discount of the $60-80 they charge.

Hope that helps xxx