Type 1 diabetes and driving in Oz

Guest Wanna b warm

Guest Wanna b warm

Hi I have posted a similar question on here before.. We are coming out on a 457 on that visa you can drive in Oz without changing your full uk licence to an Oz one for 3 years I believe. Being a type 1 diabetic my uk licence is medically reviewed every 3 years does this count as a full licence? I've seen from other threads their are other type ones on 457's what did you do? Ive read quite abit of info but am still confused as nothing seems to be specific to those on a 457 visa. I'm worried I may be unable to drive initially. If you can drive on your uk licence what happens when it runs out? Do you just renew by applying for an Australian one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a type 1 diabetic and arried here eight months ago on a PR visa.

As I am on a PR visa my UK licence was only good for six months but the application for an Australian licence was extremely smooth and simple. I applied for a licence at Vic Roads and declared my diabetes, the result was an instant licence there and then together with a form to be filled in by your doctor to confirm that you are still verticle, this has to be returned to the licencing authorities within one month or they rescind your licence. The licence lasts for three years when you have to go through the process again. I think it cost about $70.

Mamba