So do I start to panic?!

rachall

Ok people now I'm concerned! Thank you all for your honest replys, they are needed. Yes Blobby 1000 Nett pay before tax is 66,500, I also get a company car with full personal use, but if $66,500 is poor money for a managerial nurse position then I really do need to look research other options first and no they are not paying all relocation costs, just my flight and visa. We will have a substantial pot to fall back on but I am reluctant to rely on this as it would be a nice deposit on a house when/if I obtain PR.

Does any one know the going rate for a nurse in Sydney?

Hi Rachall,

Dont be worried, its good you asked the question.

I am an RPN2 year 4 and my basic is about 60,000 plus extras (which amount to loads) for weekends, nights, in charge shifts and because I got spnsered after 6 months for residency can now pick up loads more with extra agency work. My sponser paid for absolutely nothing, not even a cup of tea on arrival, and were unhelpful at every turn, but thats not the point here....

The private sector (which your job is yes?) should be paying at least 20 percent more, and being that you are a manager, and in Sydney, I would think a basic rate of 100k would be more reasonable.

The problem with these 457 sponsers is they spout rubbish knowing we are all chasing a dream. They try to get people on the cheap, which doesnt really matter if they sponser you after 6 months cos you can escape once you get here and realise you have been screwed. But 2 years is too long and my money would be on you giving up if you had to wait 2 years once you realised you had been ripped off, you will be eating pasta and living in a crap house while the nurses you meet will be residents on 100k a year driving their 4x4 and eating steak!!!! And you wont be able to do anything about it for 2 years!!

In your position I would be expecting at least 80k and sponsered residency after 6 months. These jokers want to make you manage a place but not pay you for it.

Also dont rely on your "substantial pot" there is no way you should need to supplement a life in Austrailia as a nurse at the moment with UK money. Keep hold of them because when it comes to buying a house you will want every penny you have as a decent house out here in Sydney will cost you at least 500k, probably more

Also dont rely on your "substantial pot" there is no way you should need to supplement a life in Austrailia as a nurse at the moment with UK money. Keep hold of them because when it comes to buying a house you will want every penny you have as a decent house out here in Sydney will cost you at least 500k, probably more

I picked up a real estate guide in Penrith the other day and I see there are plenty of decent looking homes for under $400,000. I was very impressed with Penrith too.

Thanks Blobby1000 although it's not nice to hear I'm glad that you have been honest with me. The job is in the Private sector and I will be expected not only to manage a team of home carers but also a budget. Perhaps the dream needs to be on hold for the time being or other options explored. If you have any advise it would be gratefully received.

Regards

Rachel

I picked up a real estate guide in Penrith the other day and I see there are plenty of decent looking homes for under $400,000. I was very impressed with Penrith too.

Penrith is not Sydney.

And even if it was 400k 7% mortage, $28,000 a year in interest alone, thats $2300 a month, so that leave our OP with $1300 a month for food, bills, rates and trying to have a life (which she would not be able to have).

Im not saying dont come, Im saying dont let companies in Australia (and "positive people regardless of everything" on here) sell you the Australian dream on 60k a year cos it aint gonna happen and you will find an alternative who will make you do less work for a lot more money

No problem Rachall, I will PM you soon as I have a chance. Its difficult because we came out with a useless relocation agent and the sponser was just as bad, but if I PM you I will give you names so you can rule them out!!! Unfortunatley I dont know of a better 457 alternative sponser as I have only met nurses that are sponsered by the same people we were, but at the very least you could take a crap sponser that will get you residency fast with no tie in period because then you are a free agent and this basically saves you 4 years (or whatever is it) of waiting in the UK to get residency straight off.

Better to spend time exploring your options in the Uk than spend 2 years here with no option of escape from a lowly paid job (I know its hard to picture 66k as lowly paid but it is when you factor in that your partner is not working and that things are very very expensive here)

Archived