When can you apply for citizenship?

cartertucker

Wondering when we can apply for citizenship?

:wideeyed:

Thinking its 3 or 4 years, but also, is that from the date your visa is validated or from when you actually move here?

Lastly, is citizenship the only way you can leave australia & then return at any time in the future?

Guest GeorgeD

You need to have been a resident for 4 years. At least 1 year of which is as a Permanent resident. You also have to have been outside of Australia for no more than 12 months in those 4 years, and no more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to application for citizenship.

I believe the "residency" clock starts ticking from when you validated your visa.

If you are a PR, there are certain circumstances which will allow you to leave for a prolongued time and then return (using a Residents Return Visa which needs to be renewed every 5 years), but if you wanted to be away for more a great length of time, and have the least hassle, then Citizenship is the way to do it.

at the time you apply, you have to have spent the last four years in Australia, with less than 12months out of the country during that time, of which no more than three months out in the last year. At least one year has to have been on a PR visa.

So basically it depends how much time there was between validating and moving here as to which date it counts from.

with respect to getting back into Australia. If you'll be back within 5yrs of leaving, then a residents return visa is sufficient. Any longer than that and you pretty much need citizenship

Weren't you only just talking about going home after being here a few months?

Yes, I was.....But I wouldnt leave yet, if ever. Have always said id give it at least 2 years....But my sensible head says (especially for the kids) We should at least wait & get citizenship first ~ As you just never know what the future holds

You need to have been a resident for 4 years. At least 1 year of which is as a Permanent resident. You also have to have been outside of Australia for no more than 12 months in those 4 years, and no more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to application for citizenship.

I believe the "residency" clock starts ticking from when you validated your visa.

If you are a PR, there are certain circumstances which will allow you to leave for a prolongued time and then return (using a Residents Return Visa which needs to be renewed every 5 years), but if you wanted to be away for more a great length of time, and have the least hassle, then Citizenship is the way to do it.

at the time you apply, you have to have spent the last four years in Australia, with less than 12months out of the country during that time, of which no more than three months out in the last year. At least one year has to have been on a PR visa.

So basically it depends how much time there was between validating and moving here as to which date it counts from.

with respect to getting back into Australia. If you'll be back within 5yrs of leaving, then a residents return visa is sufficient. Any longer than that and you pretty much need citizenship

Great posts ~ Thankyou both

We validated March 2011 & moved here in November 2011

Would a residents return visa mean we all have to return? I have a 19 year old Son, so want to keep his options open too

Archived