Cost of Living

Guest heather

Guest heather

Does anyone know what the true cost of living is. The dept of immigration say $930 per week for 3 people, I have a book which says $2750 per month for a family of four. I know it depends on where you live, but my partner is worried as his work would earn him $600 per week and he will be the main bread winner. We will have savings etc but don't want to fritter it away. I've also read somewhere the average weekly wage is $950. I am struggling to find many professions who earn that sort of money. Most appear to be $5-750 per week. Any help/info appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what the true cost of living is. The dept of immigration say $930 per week for 3 people, I have a book which says $2750 per month for a family of four. I know it depends on where you live, but my partner is worried as his work would earn him $600 per week and he will be the main bread winner. We will have savings etc but don't want to fritter it away. I've also read somewhere the average weekly wage is $950. I am struggling to find many professions who earn that sort of money. Most appear to be $5-750 per week. Any help/info appreciated.

$950 as average weekly wage would generally be pre-tax.

Average salary in OZ is about $43k and normally both partners work to have a decent lifestyle.

Depends what your job is. I've found this website to be pretty accurate regarding salaries http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/default.aspx?pageId=AlphaSearch&WHCode=2&TextOnly=0

Sydney & Melbourne generally have higher salaries than the other cities but only by about 15%. House prices are normally about 30-40% higher though in Sydney and melbourne)

If you are going to have a mortgage it will generally cost you between $700 - $750 per month per $100k borrowed. (very rough figure)

We (me hubby and 2 cats) spend about $70 per month on telephone and about $150 per quarter on electric / gas (more in winter less in summer) Water rates are just over $600 per year. Car insurance costs us just under $900 per year for 2 cars (1 old 1 new), and about $70 per week on petrol (coves both cars) Vet bills for our 2 cats normally are around $160 per year for annual vaccinations plus $250 per year for preventive medicines (Flea & worm control etc) Foxtel cost about $30 per month. Takeaway chinese / indian will be about $15 per main course. Pizza is about $8-10 per pizza. Going out for dinner budget for about $25-30 for steak, plus wine/beer on top

Some examples from a recent shopping I just did that you can compare against your local supermarket

Chicken breast fillets (skinless) $12.99 per kg

Pork tenderloin $13.99 per kg

Beef mince (lean) $7.29 per kg

cooked river gum ham $14.50 per kg

Vintage cheddar $18.20 per kg

4 vine tomatoes $3.98

1 bunch spring onions $2.98

Celery $5.99 per kg

field mushrooms $15.68 per kg

2 avocados $4.25

Cos baby lettuce $2.98

green peppers $3.98 per kg

Milk semi skimmed 2 litres $3.05

Heinz salad cream 250g $2.17

3 ply toilet rolls (9 per pack) $5.78

kitchen roll (2 pack) $2.43

Cat food (85g tin) $0.69 each (on special, normally $0.82 each)

Hope this helps. I'm sure I've forgotten to include loads of costs, but should get you started.

maybe someone else can help with schools and kids type costs

Archived