Worried about my citizenship

Guest prudence33

Guest prudence33

Hi

I am 1 year away from being eligible to apply for my citizenship, but I am on the verge of taking up an extremely good job in Dubai. I plan to buy a house here in Australia whilst I am in Dubai. Due to this tie in Australia, am I still eligible to apply for my citizenship next year. If not, would the 3 years that I already have accumulated be counted when I eventually apply for my citizenship after let us say, 10 years? Would I then have only 1 year to fullfill, even though the break?

I need some advice on this as it is a very crucial decision.

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:

• 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship
  • and
  • absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.

Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.

You would struggle to get a RRV after 10 years out of the country regardless if you owned property.

Guest prudence33

I am still unclear about the 4 year period actually. Do the four years have to be just before you apply for your citizenship? Or, can it be 4 years in total over many years of you coming back and forth to oz on RRVs?

Sorry about the many questions. Just want to make sure I get this right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

How many RRV do you think you will be eligible for. You are eligible for RRV if you have spent 2 years in last 5 in Australia.

The 4 year period is prior to applying. Therefore once you spend more than 12 months out of the country any residency that you have acrued before will be lost.

Archived