Mechanical Engineers finding work...

MrTux

Hi, I thought I would start this thread so other mechanical Engineers can share their experiences of finding employment in Australia; either in country or from abroad; and in their current industry or across industries. The purpose is to provide tips and advice to others (and me) trying to find a job.

My situation. I have just been granted a 175 visa and I am living in the UK and working in the Aerospace Industry. I have applied for several Australian vacancies in Aerospace and other industries before my visa was granted and received no interest whatsoever. However in the same time I have applied for a few jobs in different industries in the UK and have had two job offers in the last six months. This suggests to me that I am understandably not desirable 10,000 miles away without the right to work in Australia but does raise some other questions:

1. Does my CV which works in the UK need to be ozzed up, if so any tips?

2. Am I likely to succeed applying for work from the UK with a visa, or do I really need to take the plunge and move to Oz with no offer of employment to succeed in scoring an Australian job?

:animal-frog:

I tried applying for a few vacancies from the UK and they all wanted people who have the visa already approved. Some agencies asked me to get in touch once I had the visa and was about a month away from relocating. I think they have a narrow window of time to fill vacancy.

We have just applied for a 176 visa, so assuming it goes through, I was cosidering a reccie over for 2 weeks (a) to validate the visa and (b) market myself with agencies - hopefully line up some interviews in advance.

Good luck !

Thanks for your reply. I was also thinking of planning a validating visa trip / try and line up a few interviews, or just handing in my notice and buying a oneway ticket. By the way what industry do you have experince in? and have you sent applications via internet or have you made the effort to call the employer / agency. The reason I ask is I have only recieved generic email responces to online applications saying I do not meet the criteria.

MrTux

My hubby is in Automotive Engineering and having very little luck on the jobs front. If he's lucky he gets a standardised email acknowledging his application. He has phoned an agency in Melbourne and doesn't even get his calls returned. I could understand (a bit) this before we got our visa but now we have the visa - shouldn't they be more receptive? The weirdest one was just before Xmas when he applied for a job that could have been written for him and was told that his application was going to be presented - 3 weeks later - we followed up our email enquiry with a phone call asking for an update; got an email back saying "passed to several managers and no desire for interview which he believed was due to the year end freeze on hiring - WHY advertise a job then and WHy pass to several managers when applying for a specific vacancy?

i'd tell them to go jump but they are the preferred agency for the employer he really wants to work for. It's really quite sad because he's great at what he does - he tests cars all over the world and his opinion is respected and he's getting treated like a YTS trainee by this agency.

My first thought was to "Aussie" style his cv and covering letters so maybe we'll have more luck now? Also he's finished his 3rd overseas trip this year today and so can focus more on the job hunting now he's in the same time zone as me to chivvy him along and perk him up.

We've 4 kids so we're not moving over without a job offer though he will go first alone if they need him before the end of the UK school year. I suspect a validation/ interviews trip may push us over the edge as we've hardly seenhim this last 3 months :confused:

Guest stuartrobinson

hi all theres a company in ireland called osbourne recruitment they find employers from oz and set up interview for you my hubbys got an interview on the 16th in dublin with an ozzy company.hubby is a mechanic/plant fitter worth giving them a try theyve been really helpfull.so fingers crossed all goes well hope they can help yous and good luck hopefully in 3 months wel be living the dream lol xx:)))))

I tried applying for a few vacancies from the UK and they all wanted people who have the visa already approved. Some agencies asked me to get in touch once I had the visa and was about a month away from relocating. I think they have a narrow window of time to fill vacancy.

We have just applied for a 176 visa, so assuming it goes through, I was cosidering a reccie over for 2 weeks (a) to validate the visa and (b) market myself with agencies - hopefully line up some interviews in advance.

Good luck !

I'm in the pharmaceuticals manufacturing industry. This is one of the industries Australia is looking to develop before the mining boom ends. Currently though there's no evidence if it at the moment. My applications have been via job sites so far but I've stopped until we get that visa. I have had a positive discussion with the manager at our sister plant in Sydney so I'll definitely follow that up once I have more positive news with the visa.

Thanks for your replies. I am just currently starting to reapply for jobs now I have the visa. I will keep you posted if I get any success. I am also attending the Aus Expo in London on the 24th of March so will try and get some questions answered there.

Archived