darwin

Guest beka n anto

Guest beka n anto

:err:hi all, i possibly have job in palmerston and was wondering can anyone give me any info on local kindy, pre~school and primary schools in the area, also how exactly the rental system works there as i asked a company but i was told that when i arrived they would give me the info i needed, im not sure how any of it works and worried also i dont want to be out too far, the creepy crawly side of things is freakin me out!!! plus my 5 yr old is petrified too... :confused: worried about the whole thing and i work in a salon so dreadin the heat but it will all be worth it!! any help would be great xxx

Hi Becka :)

I can't give you much advice yet because I'm not there yet... we're moving to Darwin (well, Gunn in Palmerston actually) at the end of this month!

The suburbs of Palmerston seem to be zoned for schooling (or should I say the schools seem to be zoned) so it depends on where you will live as to what school your kid(s) will go to. I've heard that it's hard to get a rental until you've actually set foot in a house to view it. Luckily for us we have friends in Gunn and we are going to move into the house they're renting (they're breaking their lease early). Phew!

We have a 6 year old and a 9 year old. They're more worried so far about missing their family/friends here (and toys!) than they are about what it's going to be like there. I think they're quite excited about getting there actually.... (I hope they are! lol)

Guest Whoopseydaisy

I have been living in Palmerston for the last 7 weeks. Cockroaches are everywhere!!!!!!!!! But other thhan that............ i havent seen any other creepy crawlies! At first, I was freaked out but am getting usd to them now! Havnt seen a crocodile yet either or snakes for that matter!

I dont have kids but it seems likr you have to pay for a decent education. Private religious colleges rather than the community colleges are best, so it seems!

Palmerston is a good spot. Everything is here, however you do need a car or you'll go insane. Buses are regular but stinky so not the first choice!

Any questionsgive me a shout or if you want to meet up when you get here, PM me. I will help as much as I can!

Michelle

Guest Misssweetkay

i have been in darwin for 4 months now, this is what i have learnt.

Reting - estate agent are not the most helpful, we found ray white to be the best, you have to a few a place 1st then put an application in. they need to see proof of i.D. proof of funds eg pay slip. if you haven;t found work then they ask to see proof you can rent for 6 months. Then ref from old estate agents ect.

I have a 2 year old and most of the good preschool, school ect have big waiting list. I got my boy into a good one when i spoke with the director of his nursery and explained i couldn't put his name on a waiting list. I agree with whoppsiedaisy about the schools they dont seem to be up to standand so we have started to enrol him from tranistion year ( age 5) in to private school as we are concerned about the amount of school place to the amount of families they are trying to get to come up here.

I havent seen any wild crocs yet, i have seen a snake, a cane tode. We have had 3 huntsman in and one of the scared the hell out of me as it kept jumping round they house. With the heat most workplace have aircon and as long as you stay out of the midday heat you will be fine.

Hope this helps

Michelle, I'd love to take you up on the offer of meeting up when I/we get there! :biggrin: Really would love to have some female friends there to talk to, etc. My husband arrived yesterday afternoon so he's letting me know how hot and rainy it is right now. lol.

• 3 months later...
Guest morgdots

Hi whoopsadaisy , im also irish from slane co. meath and living in palmerston.I ve been chatting to jbblossom trying to arrange a meet up so would be great to have a chat with ye! we are in rosebery and arrived march 28th although spent 5 weeks in the city before finding this house. Im starting to crack at this stage and need to find some life oth side the house before any negativity sets in ! vi

Hi hang in there, there are a number of Forum members emigrating to Darwin over the next few months, I'm one of them!!!

Hi whoopsadaisy , im also irish from slane co. meath and living in palmerston.I ve been chatting to jbblossom trying to arrange a meet up so would be great to have a chat with ye! we are in rosebery and arrived march 28th although spent 5 weeks in the city before finding this house. Im starting to crack at this stage and need to find some life oth side the house before any negativity sets in ! vi

Guest morgdots
Hi hang in there, there are a number of Forum members emigrating to Darwin over the next few months, I'm one of them!!!

thanks lychee, im loving Darwin , but im slowly realising im lonely ......ive even taken to doing housework to keep bust ....so not me lol just kidding, im really looking forward to meeting people and hopefully will do in the next day or so as trying to organise a meet up with some on here so fingers crossed, dont forget us when you get here , if you need anything just let us know.....and i mean anything from airport pick ups to a guided tour lol cheers vi

Guest morgdots
:err:hi all, i possibly have job in palmerston and was wondering can anyone give me any info on local kindy, pre~school and primary schools in the area, also how exactly the rental system works there as i asked a company but i was told that when i arrived they would give me the info i needed, im not sure how any of it works and worried also i dont want to be out too far, the creepy crawly side of things is freakin me out!!! plus my 5 yr old is petrified too... :confused: worried about the whole thing and i work in a salon so dreadin the heat but it will all be worth it!! any help would be great xxx

Have you guys arrived in Darwin yet?

Archived