Filling out the Spouse visa today..

DaveS

Hi All

Myself (English) and my Wife (Aussie) are moving to Australia together. Finally started filling out the paperwork - and I am struggling to get my head around one aspect of it and would really appreciate some input from people who have been through this before. We have just had our first child in the UK - and are in the midst of getting his UK passport and subsequently his Australian citizenship by descent.

The Spouse Visa form I am filling out (47SP) asks about dependents - and goes into all this child abduction (?) prevention questions and also they want my sons passport information. We wont have this for a few weeks - do I have to wait? Or can I just leave this blank because he doesn't have one yet. He will not need to be on my VISA. I am almost tempted to pretend he doesn't exist for the purposes of this form.

Thanks for any help on this point - and more generally on taking a (hopefully) Australian baby through this 47SP form.

Dave

Guest Bazinga

Baby needs a passport then you apply for the citizenshup for it I thibk. My husband dealt with that. I put my daughter down but left thr passport details blank as she is a baby Aussie so not on my form.

Baby needs a passport then you apply for the citizenshup for it I thibk. My husband dealt with that. I put my daughter down but left thr passport details blank as she is a baby Aussie so not on my form.

Thanks for that Bazinga. Sounds logical and what I thought would be the case but if the form doesn't say something like "if applicable" - I find it hard to leave sections blank without worry. Did you get your visa approved already?

Thanks again!

Dave

Guest Bazinga

Nope, waiting still. Looks like offshore times are around the 4-5 month mark at the moment so probably late May/June for us. Husband has been in oz since Sept.

You don't need to wait for a UK passport to apply for your sons citizenship by descent. You only need the birth certificate to apply for the citizenship and once you have that, can apply for the passport (the Aus parent needs to send their Aus passport in with this). The only reason you'd need to wait tbh is if you've applied for the UK passport and have sent off the birth certificate with it.

We got our sons Aus stuff sorted first and he had it all done by 8 weeks when he was born here in the UK. We didn't bother with the UK passport till he was about 18 months old and we were closer to actually needing it.

Don't pretend he doesn't exist. It could stuff up the application.

Guest Bazinga

I meant Aussie passport first before citizenship.

I do know you put them down just leave out the passport details because technically they are not emigrating with you.

I meant Aussie passport first before citizenship.

But you have to have Aus citizenship by descent before you can apply for an Aus passport. We did it that way round and it was all sorted within a few weeks.

Archived