Which suburb in Melbourne??

graham834

Hi,

We are emigrating to Melbourne arriving on the 19th June. My husband has been offered a job in Fitzroy and as yet we havent decided on a suburb to live as we were waiting to see if my OH secured a job.

Can anyone recommend any nice suburbs within a commute to Fitzroy??

We would like a nice family suburb with good schools, parks etc. We will be renting for the first 6- 12 months and would like a house which has a big back garden.

If anyone can recommend any nice areas for us to consider it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Amanda

Suggest you also put your request into the Life in Victoria forum as its specific to Victoria and you may get more response.

Fitzroy is a suburb where the Double Income No Kids and Singles tend to reside as its got a good cafe society and bars etc.

As you are family you probably would not want to live there. I suggest you have a look at the

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

This site gives you all the public transport links to areas and you can follow them out of the city and select suburbs you may be interested in. Train is the fastest option, the trams get stopped in traffic especially in the Fitzroy area.

Once you find the suburb have a look at realestate.com.au, domainl.com.au, homehound.com.au at rentals in areas of interest.

Also have a look at the Leader Newspaper site this has local papers for every suburb in Melbourne and can assist greatly with info about what an area is like to live in.

Good luck

Take a look in the Victoria section as this question has cropped up many times over the last few weeks and there is some really good info from people that are living in particular suburbs that will give you an idea.

I would recommend booking a couple of weeks short term accomodation and driving round the suburbs when you get here. I spend ages looking on the internet back in the UK (we've been here for 2 months now) but you really don't get a feel for the place that way. You also can't rent anything until you get here.

Places that I thought would be perfect ended up not being so once we drove there to look and areas that I hadn't considered turned out to be great! It's frustrating being in the UK and not having anything long term sorted for when you arrive - we moved with a 6 month old so I was stressing about accomodation - but there are plenty of rentals out there and I really enjoyed driving round the different areas to see what they offered.

Good luck!

Take a look in the Victoria section as this question has cropped up many times over the last few weeks and there is some really good info from people that are living in particular suburbs that will give you an idea.I would recommend booking a couple of weeks short term accomodation and driving round the suburbs when you get here. I spend ages looking on the internet back in the UK (we've been here for 2 months now) but you really don't get a feel for the place that way. You also can't rent anything until you get here. Places that I thought would be perfect ended up not being so once we drove there to look and areas that I hadn't considered turned out to be great! It's frustrating being in the UK and not having anything long term sorted for when you arrive - we moved with a 6 month old so I was stressing about accomodation - but there are plenty of rentals out there and I really enjoyed driving round the different areas to see what they offered. Good luck!
Thank you very much your comments its reassuring to hear everything works out! Which suburb did you end up picking? Thanks again, Amanda

I work in Fitzroy and commute form Fairfield which is a lovely suburb with a nice village feel to it. I cycle in so its about 25 minutes and same on the train. I would suggest you explore once you get here though as everyone as there own individual preferences. Be assured the people are very friendly wherever you end up! Rental prices more expensive in the inner suburbs so depends how long to want your commute to be. Fitzroy is very central for the CBD. Good luck!

We ended up in Mentone, which is on the Frankston line - that probably won't be any good to you as you'd be going into the city and then back out again.

Take a look at the rental prices too - areas close to the CBD are crazy, so somewhere on a good train line but a bit further out might be best. We nearly had a heary attack when we saw what we could get for our money closer to the city!

If it's any use, we stayed in the Mint Rhapsody apartments on St. Kilda road for 2 weeks which was great - the staff helped us in terms of good/bad areas to look in, where to buy a car etc. My husband's company gave us 2 weeks there so it's always worth asking for something similar from your employer.

Guest VickyMel

I suggest you also look at the suburbs which are on a train route to Fitzroy then if parking is a problem you have an easy route in.

Looking on realestate and domain are also useful to see what the properties look like.

We are just South of the city at the moment but will be starting to look around the North or West a bit soon as we will probably be looking to move to that side - depending on what happens job wise with OH.