cervical cancer

Guest carolyn1977

Guest carolyn1977

hi im 1 year clear of cervical cancer and we are thinking of moving to australia, i was just wondering if anyone knows if this would prevent us getting a visa. and would i be able to take out medical cover just in case i became ill again in auatralia

Guest lauraloves

Hi

well done :biggrin: i am almost 3 years on from Breast C:biggrin: and we are making the move to Oz soon. I have absolutly no problems at all. I will be paying private health insurance once in Oz, i dont no of exact costs yet

I think there's a waiting time before pre-existing conditions will be covered by health insurance.

taken from the bupa website: "A pre-existing condition is any condition, ailment or illness that you had signs or symptoms of during the six months before you joined or upgraded to a higher level of cover with us. It is not necessary that you or your doctor knew what your condition was or that the condition had been diagnosed.

A condition can still be classed as preexisting even if you hadn't seen your doctor about it before joining or upgrading to a higher level of cover.

If you knew you weren't well, or had signs of a condition that a doctor would have detected (if you had seen one) during the six months prior to joining or upgrading, then the condition would be classed as pre-existing.

A doctor appointed by us decides whether your condition is pre-existing, not you or your doctor. The appointed doctor must consider your treating doctors' opinions on the signs and symptoms of your condition, but is not bound to agree with them."

Judging by this, I would say your cervical cancer wouldn't classify as pre-existing, since you've been clear for more than 6months. But would definitely recommend checking with the health fund you want to join before you sign up.

With regards the medical they'll probably ask your gynaecologist for a report.

I know a chap who had major surgery for an abdominal aneurysm and afterwards the aussie medical opinion was that it was fixed so not an issue.

Hopefully they'll say the same for you.

With regards the medical insurance, they may preload it a bit but not to the same rip off extent as in the UK - but to be fair what you pay monthly here in medical insurance just put it into a savings fund and pay the excess if need be for any state funded treatment. A friend of mine had breast cancer treatment and had the same consultant on the state as she would have had privatesly, the same drugs etc.

You will have to wait a long time for elective surgery but not for life threatening stuff.

Good luck with your application,

Archived