Any input on these calculations??

munchkinpie

Hey all just wondered if any of you guys could just have a look at the figures I have put below and give me an idea if you think we are being sensible or not.

We will be moving to Melbourne, only 1 of us would be working initially, we have 3 children 14,12 and 3 (state schooling) - we are starting salary negotiations and I know its a minefield basing it on exchange rates etc so my thinking is if I work out our costs then i can get a better idea.

How does this sound for living about 30-45 mins commute of south of melbourne city:

Rent of $400 per week for 3/4 bed house = $21000

Train/Bus Travel Card = $3000

School Miscellaneous = $2000

Medical/Dental = $3500

Utilities = $3000

Phone/Internet = $3000

Shopping $200 a week = $10400

Petrol/Car Expenses = $6000

General living costs, clothing, entertainment approx $2000 per month = $24000

So a salary of $76 after tax would be a good minimum start would you say?

Many thanks

xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Everyone is different in what they spend so you may get different answers, for the landline and Bigpond Internet I would say allow $100 per month, so $1200 per year. In regards to family shopping (if you don't go to the meat warehouse etc) then you would need to increase your weekly costs, you could do an example shop on the online version of Woolworths or Coles. Utilities should be about right as you won't have rates, etc to pay.

Thank you Moving2Melbourne

I shall definitely have a mess about with the online ordering of groceries - we tried to just go with a rough multiplication of what other half spent while he was in sydney last year, we are a greedy bunch so best jump it up a bit lol.

Internet and phone I have included mobiles in this - my 2 oldest children are glued to their mobiles so im thinking that 4 mobiles will cost me a whack!

Still negotiating finer details but just wanted to make sure that the move is succesful from the start.

Thank you x

you'll get exact info on the cost of train tickets from http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au and you might want to look at coming slightly further out to get a decent house for that sort of rental money :) (plus that way you usually get a seat on the train in the morning)

I'm on double (in Aus dollars) my UK salary and we've been all good so far!

Be careful with how they quote a salary too - make sure they're not including Super (pension) in what they tell you or it'll mess up your calc's :)

Thanks JoandJon

Yeah took me a while to get round wages etc last year when my other half went to work in Sydney for 8 month we had salary and LAFHA and Superannuation all thrown at me and i had to do a lot of reading up believe me.

Ive been looking at so many places today - from Dandenong to Mornington and yeah i think we will invest a bit more into rental kitty to get a really nice house, as well as probably increase commute time to broaden our horizons. Move is all about making life better for the kids so schools and a good cheerleading team are currently top of our list apparantly! :err:

Archived