Small amount of stuff to Melbourne

fergal007

Hi everyone :)

I am looking for some advise I'm moving to Melbourne on a 176 in the first week of July and I need some advise regarding shipping of some personal items. I thought I would start here before I start calling up shipping companies in London for quotes

Right I have a (2) toolboxs, (1)10 foot Longboard, (3) Bodyboards in a bag, (1)box of books and a (1)mountain bike! and probably (1) box of clothes and some camping equipment. The rest I can chuck on the plane!

Can anyone tell me what's the cheapest way to get this stuff to Melbourne, how long will it take? and recommend a company? in the London area or one that is UK wide.

I would assume it will take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to get there? I am bailing out of the UK in June and would like to send it ahead of me , any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Fergal

Most of the usual moving culprits will ship stuff for you, I'm sure some others can give names of the different companies who'll do it.

Be aware, unless you're paying for air-freight (pricey) it'll probably take more like 10-12 weeks (or longer) for a shared shipment.

Our stuff took 9 weeks door-to-door, but that was a whole container, which tends to be quicker.

Good luck :)

Most of the usual moving culprits will ship stuff for you, I'm sure some others can give names of the different companies who'll do it.

Be aware, unless you're paying for air-freight (pricey) it'll probably take more like 10-12 weeks (or longer) for a shared shipment.

Our stuff took 9 weeks door-to-door, but that was a whole container, which tends to be quicker.

Good luck :)

Cheers mate, I don't really mind how long it takes, if that's the case I am bringing one Bodyboard on the plane with me!! I hitting up the Great Ocean Road ASAP!! I want to ship the stuff as I am sure its cheaper and there is no major panic with it really.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest komrade

Hi Fergal,

If you don't already have your flight - Virgin Atlantic will let you can take up to 10 additional bags (each 23kg) with you on the plane.

First extra bag is £32, then £72 for each one afterwards (up to 10 extras).

(you can also take 23 kg of sports equipment, like the boards, for free)

This often works out much cheaper than shipping, and you get to take it with you.

Getting to/from the airport can be tricky though!

I've done this twice, and it all worked out great.

Archived