My long term options / plans for migrating to Australia. please help!

Lashie

Currently 4 months into my Working holiday visa and I really want to stay here in Australia. Being fresh out of Uni, and with no experience, I'm finding that it's obviously hard to get into a career, especially one to sponsor you, so I've just been working bar jobs. I've been pretty ****ing unlucky and both jobs I've had so far ended up firing me, for reasons that I don't think were too fair but completely regardless of the subject and I don't even want to go into depth here...

And it seems that 'Backpackers' as we are called, (and I really HATE the term because I hang around with 90% Aussies, I've lived at one residence since I've been here, and I have no intention on traveling around being a drunken fool like most of the people i end up seeing in the city with an Irish (sorry all you awesome Irish out there!) accent.) get taken advantage of, and checking out gumtree and what not, it seems most backpackers are looking for work in bar/waiting/kitchen environments, and myself included. I just think its become really transparent that you need a specific skill, and you need to be good at it, something that doesn't class as a day to day job that any person could work? Am I right so far? At least in terms of sponsorship eventually...

Now I'm only 21 so that gives me heaps of time, I guess, to get my life sorted and I've been summing up different options as to how I can go about this, in the most realistic ways. I've given up even thinking about getting sponsored on this visa, it's just not going to happen unless I land really lucky, but then, maybe I should just get married while I'm at it, lol. I am strongly considering going to TAFE for 2 years to study graphic design, as it's what I really want to do, that or web design, which is also detailed in the course and I have plenty of training with through my degree. After 2 years, I'm eligible to get a grad visa to work for 18 months, if what I've done is on the SOL or regional SOL, so.... I have that right?

My second option was to get my three months on the farm business sorted, leave Australia for a while, train myself up and get work experience back in England, maybe even come back to Aus on a student visa for two years, so I have the Graduate/SOL visa business to look forward to, but ALSO I should have my second year Working holiday visa as a fall back incase I ever need it? This is the big part for me here, As I'm only 21 and you have to be under 30 to do a WHV, would I be able to secure my second year and then use it in 3, maybe 4 or so years time? Are there any conditions around it? Can I still work a second year visa, if i've since been on another visa (i.e student visa).

Which would be my best options? I believe that, if I was currently good enough at what I wanted to do, then I'd have no problem in finding a job and getting sponsored, it's just I need to find a way to get a second chance at this, and I'm riding on the hopes of having another WHV in the future years, or something through student visa. But as I only really want to go into graphic/web design or something related, I don't think I'll ever have much luck through the 157 skilled visa in future years?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and suggestions :)

I just think its become really transparent that you need a specific skill, and you need to be good at it, something that doesn't class as a day to day job that any person could work? Am I right so far? At least in terms of sponsorship eventually...

My second option was to get my three months on the farm business sorted, leave Australia for a while, train myself up and get work experience back in England, maybe even come back to Aus on a student visa for two years, so I have the Graduate/SOL visa business to look forward to, but ALSO I should have my second year Working holiday visa as a fall back incase I ever need it? This is the big part for me here, As I'm only 21 and you have to be under 30 to do a WHV, would I be able to secure my second year and then use it in 3, maybe 4 or so years time?

Hi iamrichol;

I too went over to Australia on a WHV in 2005 and on a tourist visa in 2007. When I was there as a backpacker I found it really difficult to find work and like you it became VERY clear in order to establish myself and live happily in Australia I needed a skill. So i worked my 1 year and left to go back home. When I was at home I looked at university but just couldnt be bothered so i worked in crappy jobs and saved to go back over on 2007.

When I came back in 2007 I was so gutted about leaving for Australia and then ending back up in England so i got my hands on a SOL and found a job on there that I thought I would like. I found psychiatric nursing, joined university and did my degree. It took 3 years but it was worth it and i am now prepping to get my 175 skilled migration visa application in : ) so it can be done.

With regards to the 2nd year WHV i think you just have to use it. for example i dont think you can have it granted now, leave for 2 years and then go back and start your 2nd year if that makes sense?

Hope that helps xx

I'm riding on the hopes of having another WHV in the future years, or something through student visa. But as I only really want to go into graphic/web design or something related, I don't think I'll ever have much luck through the 157 skilled visa in future years?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and suggestions :)

Also you can only ever have 1 WHV :( as i was looking at this option. There is always NZ to travel too? You never know whats going to happen you could find a sponsor, i know many people who have but it sometimes doesnt lead to PR. If PR and living in Australia for good is your eventual aim I would find some course that will get you there. xx

Archived