COntainer size compared to Luton Van

k8bug79

Sorry a bit of a round about way of doing this. But I am trying o budget for shipping. We originally thought we'd just take a few sentimental items and then swung to a few essential its and now I am wondering whether to take some furniture. I have seen numerous quotes per sq foot but I can't equate that into what it means. I really don't think we'll need a full container as we are not bringing everything. max will be 2 beds, a couple of bookcases, a couple of chest of draws and about 20 boxes. When we moved into this house we did it in 1 1/2 luton van loads and a lot of the furniture was still built. So I am wondering if we go with bringing as much furniture is useful and we flat packed everything I reckon we would have 1/2 -1 luton van loads worth. Therefore I am wondering if someone can let me know whether a part container load equates to a luton vans worth or more or less? Also if you do a part shipment do you tend to pay literally for what you use or do you pay for a segment. Is it worth paying the extra to bring the couple of bits of furniture with us (not the useful stuff so would not be replacing over there necessarily just the nice stuff that I would be sorry to see go) or whether I could cut the cost right down by just bringing the boxes. Also has anyone shipped by themselves, how do you go about it? We have a friend who organizes shipments and we will probably ask him for some help and advise but just wondered how you get the container etc.Thanks

Thank you for your help. I have considered getting quotes but as I am not lodging my visa until Jan and not going anywhere until at least 8 months later again, I just wanted an over view for a budget to ensure we are on track financially, and not waste removals firms time when it will all need to be done again closer to the time.

Archived